Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products — Imbruvica, Venclexta, and Empliciti — and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in nearly 200 clinical trials in 19 different types of cancer.
AbbVie is expanding its oncology hub on the West Coast, with three sites in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City, South San Francisco, and Sunnyvale) focused on the discovery and development of novel oncology therapies. More than 1,000 AbbVie scientists, clinicians, and product developers with strong entrepreneurial roots work across these three sites. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. This position is based at Stemcentrx, AbbVie's South San Francisco, CA location.
Senior Scientist - Cancer Biology, Pancreatic
As part of a talented and multi-disciplinary team advancing exciting new approaches to drug discovery and development, AbbVie Stemcentrx is looking for a highly motivated scientist with direct experience in oncology. AbbVie is a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company with a strong focus in oncology and its subsidiary Stemcentrx is a leader in identifying novel cancer stem cell targets and developing targeted therapies in oncology. The successful candidate will drive discovery work and be the scientific lead of a highly skilled and motivated group of scientists. The team’s responsibilities include identifying and validating therapeutic targets to treat pancreatic cancer, establishing and characterizing pancreatic cancer tumor models, isolating pancreatic cancer stem cells from primary tumors, and discovering biomarker(s) to be used for diagnostic or prognostic purposes.
* Discovers and advances the early development of antibody drug candidates for the treatment of pancreatic cancer and other solid tumor malignancies
* Conceives and implements novel experimental approaches to answer hypothesis driven research. Expected to initiate new areas of research, develop creative ideas or establish new technologies
* Leads team of scientists and coordinates work flows among several team members and across interdisciplinary teams
* Contributes to project science in area of pancreatic cancer and other malignancies of the gastro intestinal system
* Develops productive collaborations, manages multidisciplinary projects and communicates with other groups across many scientific disciplines and functional groups
* Initiates publications as the primary author, presents scientific finding at conferences, drafts regulatory or patent related documents
* PhD with 4+ years of postdoctoral experience in academic or preferably industry setting
* Highly motivated, goal oriented and independent scientist with record of scientific accomplishments in oncology; preferably pancreatic cancer but will also consider accomplishments in liver and other GI cancers, gynecological cancers, breast, and other solid tumors
* Proven management skills with track record of direct reports, guiding or teaching scientific staff
* Broad knowledge of oncology with focus on gastrointestinal cancers in particular pancreatic cancer
* Experience with various in vivo oncology models including xenografts and genetically modified models
* Hands on experience using a variety of methods including cell based assays, flow cytometry, antibody based assays, cell signaling, developmental biology, etc.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills and a proven track record of working effectively in a dynamic, collaborative, team-oriented setting.