Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products — Imbruvica, Venclexta, and Empliciti — and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in nearly 200 clinical trials in 19 different types of cancer.
AbbVie is expanding its oncology hub on the West Coast, with three sites in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City, South San Francisco, and Sunnyvale) focused on the discovery and development of novel oncology therapies. More than 1,000 AbbVie scientists, clinicians, and product developers with strong entrepreneurial roots work across these three sites. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. This position is based at Stemcentrx, AbbVie's South San Francisco, CA location.
Scientist/Senior Scientist – Assay Development – Antibody Discovery
As part of a talented and multi-disciplinary team advancing exciting new approaches to drug discovery and development, AbbVie Stemcentrx is looking for a highly motivated scientist with experience in assay development, specifically with a focus on antibody drug conjugates. This role is based at Stemcentrx and will contribute to a world-class team in identifying novel cancer stem cell targets and developing targeted antibody drug conjugate (ADC) therapies in oncology. The successful candidate will bring extensive knowledge of multiple assay platforms and strategies to an existing team of highly skilled and motivated scientists.
* Support target discovery and validation efforts by independently developing and performing assays to evaluate biologic drug candidates, often using cell-based and ELISA assays
* Support development efforts by designing and conducting IND enabling experiments, reagent antibody screening, potency, PK, and immunogenicity assay development
* Design and implement In vitro assays to explore target biology and mechanisms of actions
* Proactively seeks out and incorporates novel ideas in line with the group’s strategy to better characterize our antibody targets, toxins and ADCs
* Draft IND and patent documents and occasionally present at scientific conferences and symposiums
* BS or equivalent education with 7+ years of experience or MS or equivalent education 5+ of experience.
* Highly motivated, goal oriented and independent scientist with proven technical expertise in development of novel assays
* Demonstrated ability to independently design, execute and interpret critical assay development experiments to further ADC development
* Strong expertise in antibody biology and characterization
* Experience with cell imaging systems, flow cytometry, Luminex and MSD assay platforms.
* Prior experience with ADCs; pharmacokinetic, immunogenicity and potency assays preferred
* Excellent oral and written communication skills and a proven track record of working effectively in a dynamic, collaborative, team-oriented setting