SutroVax is a biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the delivery of best-in-class conjugate vaccines and novel complex antigen-based vaccines to prevent serious infectious diseases. SutroVax’s lead product candidate is a pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) that is designed to prevent invasive pneumococcal disease caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae. SutroVax’s broad-spectrum PCV is designed to provide expanded protection against circulating strains of pneumococcus and has the potential to replace the current vaccines used in infants and adults. SutroVax has generated pre-clinical proof-of-concept with its broad-spectrum PCV when compared head-to-head to current vaccines using well accepted immunological endpoints. In addition to its lead PCV product candidate, the Company also has a promising antigen discovery effort and early-stage pipeline addressing other disease areas.
SutroVax’s conjugate vaccines are developed utilizing the Company’s exclusive rights to Sutro Biopharma’s Xpress CF Platform, a cell-free protein synthesis technology. SutroVax closed its Series B round in 2017 and is financed by an international syndicate of experienced, blue-chip venture capital and corporate venture investors with $88M in capital raised since inception.
Summary / Essential Functions:
SutroVax is looking for an energetic and talented individual to play a key role in the Formulation Development function within Process Development. SutroVax is focused on the development of protein conjugate vaccines. Hence, the successful candidate will ideally not only have experience formulating proteins, but may also have experience formulating complex mixtures such as adjuvanted vaccine systems. The successful candidate will play key role in generating the scientific package of work to support the formulation development and nomination prior to clinical manufacture. Such studies may encompass:
- Nomination of drug substance (DS) and drug product (DP) formulation matrix through accelerated thermal stability and handling studies,
- Generating a deep biophysical characterization package of the molecular entities,
- Development, with ongoing support, of clinical scale DP processing methodologies.
This position will report into the Formulation Development line and be part of the wider Process Development and Manufacturing group. Significant partnerships with the Research, Analytical and Process Development teams will occur thus experience and success in working within this collaborative environment is essential. This role will require the incumbent to be agile in both thought processes and practical execution. In addition, being scientifically pro-active within the small group will be encouraged. There will be scope to interact with contact research organizations (CMOs) and prior experience of this is a bonus. In addition, taking a lead role in generation, characterization and control over materials for research in vivo studies will also be expected.
This is an extremely exciting time in SutroVax’s growth and this position will play a key role in driving the success of the company.
- PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biochemistry, Chemical / Biochemical Engineering, or a related discipline, MS with 3+ years of industry experience; or BS with 5+ years of experience
- Experience in the development and DP manufacture of parenteral formulations (e.g., proteins, peptides, ADCs, viral particles, vaccines); preferably experience formulating adjuvanted vaccines.
- Experience in high throughput methodologies of formulation screening and DoE (Design of Experiments) for formulation development preferred.
- Experience in running stability protocols, with associated experimental planning, co-ordination with the analytical team and ongoing data collation and output.
- Experience in developing DP manufacturing unit operations (e.g., filtration/mixing studies) would be preferred.
- Experience in the characterization of adjuvanted vaccine systems a distinct advantage. Proficiency in running basic protein and polysaccharide analytical methodologies is also a plus; such methods may include UV-spec, colorimetric protein concentration assays, nephelometry, particle size characterization and various modes of HPLC analysis.
- Experience of formulating adjuvanted vaccine formulations for research in vivo use preferred.
- Highly efficient and structured work practices including practical laboratory work, notebook upkeep, data generation and presentation to the Formulation and wider teams.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a cross-functional team environment on multiple projects
- Strong interpersonal skills, with excellent written and verbal communication skills
Reports to: Director, Formulation Process Development
Location: Foster City, CA
The compensation package will be competitive and includes comprehensive benefits and an equity component.