SutroVax is a biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the delivery of best-in-class conjugate vaccines and novel complex antigen-based vaccines to prevent serious infectious diseases. SutroVax’s lead product candidate is a pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) that is designed to prevent invasive pneumococcal disease caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae. SutroVax’s broad-spectrum PCV is designed to provide expanded protection against circulating strains of pneumococcus and has the potential to replace the current vaccines used in infants and adults. SutroVax has generated pre-clinical proof-of-concept with its broad-spectrum PCV when compared head-to-head to current vaccines using well accepted immunological endpoints. In addition to its lead PCV product candidate, the Company also has a promising antigen discovery effort and early-stage pipeline addressing other disease areas.
SutroVax’s conjugate vaccines are developed utilizing the Company’s exclusive rights to Sutro Biopharma’s Xpress CF Platform, a cell-free protein synthesis technology. SutroVax closed its Series B round in 2017 and is financed by an international syndicate of experienced, blue-chip venture capital and corporate venture investors with $88M in capital raised since inception.
SutroVax is looking for an energetic and talented Scientist / Associate Scientist, Conjugation Development who will contribute to the development of a robust process for generating SutroVax’s proprietary pneumococcal conjugate vaccine. Specifically, this will include synthesis, purification, and analytical characterization of antigen-protein conjugates. The successful candidate will be expected to execute the synthesis and purification procedures independently with minimal supervision, and to design appropriate experiments for process optimization under guidance. The candidate will contribute when needed to a range of related areas such as purification development and stability studies. Responsibilities will also include record management, authoring laboratory protocols and development reports, general laboratory maintenance including but not limited to purchasing of consumables and reagents, proper waste disposal and participation in team meetings.
- Perform multi-step synthesis of protein-polysaccharide conjugates.
- Purify conjugates using a variety of methods including size-exclusion chromatography and tangential flow filtration (TFF).
- Analyze conjugates with several methods including colorimetric assays and multiple HPLC assays.
- Maintain highly organized records to enable optimization and assessment of reproducibility.
- Track inventory of reagents critical to conjugation development, and make purchases to replenish when necessary.
- Attend team meetings ready to provide updates on conjugation development progress.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry or related field with 4+ years relevant industrial experience (Pharma / Biotech / Analytical testing), Master’s Degree or PhD in Organic / Analytical Chemistry with 2+ years industrial experience. The ideal candidate will have a solid understanding of organic and analytical chemistry principles and significant laboratory experience. Prior experience in performing protein conjugation reactions is a plus.
- Experience with laboratory-scale protein purification methods such as dialysis, diafiltration, size-exclusion chromatography (gravity flow and FPLC), and tangential flow filtration (TFF)
- Working knowledge of analytical methods including reversed-phase HPLC, colorimetric assays, size-exclusion chromatography (SEC), and SDS-PAGE for characterization of reaction products. Direct experience operating Agilent HPLC using OpenLab/Chemstation software and/or Waters UPLC and Empower software for data acquisition and analysis is a plus.
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in written formats
- Self-starter; ability to work in a fast-paced, cross-functional environment and collaborate effectively with other team members
- Enthusiasm to learn the new skills and techniques necessary to tackle problems outside of current area of expertise
Group Leader, Conjugation Development
Location: Foster City, California
The compensation package will be competitive and includes comprehensive benefits and an equity component.