SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Success in this role requires people who are motivated, adaptable, inquisitive, have a high level of attention to detail, and are eager to learn new things. The foundry technician will be responsible for learning the details of our processes as they evolve, then using that understanding to effectively and safely operate equipment and propose improvements that help SpaceX make world-changing launch vehicles and spacecraft.
- Safely operate grit blasting equipment on cast metal parts with a variety of blasting media
- Safely operate grinding and deburring equipment
- Work with design engineers and tooling engineers to take products from design to production
- Read and interpret work instructions and part drawings (blueprints and CAD)
- Support material removal strategies in partnership with design engineers
- Operate pattern making equipment and systems including plastic 3D printers, hand finishing, and wax dipping
- Operate and maintain slurry systems for shell manufacturing including part loading, in-process inspection, and sampling
- Work with quality engineers to reduce defects and maintain high yield
- Provide hand finishing and assembly for printed components that meet critical dimensional tolerances
- Provide hands-on support to other foundry areas when developing prototype and production hardware
- Move and stage parts and material as needed with pallet jacks, forklifts, and other assisted lift methods or with SpaceX vehicles
- Maintain a clean and safe work area
- Take operational ownership of the equipment and processes
- Take initiative in problem solving, cost reductions, and process improvement
- 2+ years of professional experience in a manufacturing or production environment
- 1+ years of hands-on experience with one or more of the following processes: 3D printing, gluing/assembling plastic parts, surface prep, inspecting parts, operator maintenance of sophisticated equipment, maintaining process fluids/chemicals, CNC equipment setups, designing/modifying fixtures, operating lab or manufacturing equipment, or hand finishing/material removal
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with investment casting
- Experience taking products from design to production
- Experience with grinding operations
- History of starting up new work centers and documenting info to establish solid processes
- Experience with 3D printers – operation and/or programming
- Familiarity with HMI, PLC, or robot programming
- Excellent hand work (sanding, cutting, assembly, etc.)
- Comfortable with a mix of repetitive and new, one-off work
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated professional track record of creative problem solving, cost reductions, and process improvement
- Excellent attention to detail
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Location/Region: Hawthorne, CA