OPENING DATE: 06/14/19 CLOSING DATE: 07/16/19 11:59 PM
DEPARTMENT: Sheriff's Office LOCATION: Sheriff Field Headquarters, 6023 NE 14th St., Des Moines
HOURS: To be Determined
BARGAINING UNIT: Teamsters
SALARY: $45,032.00 - $65,689.00 Annually
SALARY GRADE: 15
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of FCC rules and regulations.
• Knowledge of Polk County boundaries of jurisdiction.
• Knowledge of State laws pertaining to civil and criminal procedures.
• Knowledge of two way radio communications systems, computer-aided dispatch system,
and dispatch policies/procedures
• Knowledge of the organization of the Polk County Sheriff's Office.
• Knowledge of first aide and basic emergency medical dispatch procedures.
• Knowledge of procedures for entering/retrieving information from the IOWA System,
National Crime Information Center (NCIC) Systems, and the National Law Enforcement
Teletype System (NLETS).
• Knowledge of laws and requirements on working with confidential information and ability
to maintain confidentiality of information.
• Ability to verbally communicate accurate information distinctly, accurately, and concisely
in a non-emotional manner.
• Ability to effectively listen and elicit appropriate information.
• Ability to operate a two way radio.
• Ability to operate a personal computer utilizing a windows software environment.
• Ability to process electronic mail and utilize word processing software.
• Ability to operate a Tele-communications system for the deaf.
• Ability to reason logically, react calmly/quickly, and maintain composure under stress.
• Ability to keep accurate records and to make verbal/written reports.
• Ability to work in close proximity with co-workers.
• Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
• Skill in dealing with people and situations in a professional and tactful manner.
• Ability to follow standard operating procedures of the Polk County Sheriff's Office.
• Ability to operate common office equipment such as a facsimile machine, copy machine,
time clock, and shredder.
• Demonstrated ability to perform accurate and efficient data entry.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective, professional relationships with people from all
sectors including other staff, law enforcement personnel, medical personnel, and the
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
• Graduation from High School or equivalent education.
• Six months experience operating radio communication equipment, or
• Any equivalent combination of training and experience that will have provided the
required knowledge, skills and, abilities.
• The applicant must be able to pass the Polk County Communications Specialist written
examination and data entry test administered by Polk County. The written examination will be
held on Tuesday, July 30, 2019 at Polk County River Place, 2309 Euclid Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50310.
• A pre-employment drug test will be required for this safety-sensitive position.
• The applicant must pass the IOWA/NCIC certification test within six (6) months of hire.
• Must be 18 years of age.
• Must not be addicted to drugs or alcohol.
• Must be of good moral character.
• Must not have been convicted of a serious crime.
• Must be able to meet any additional criteria established by state and federal law which
would allow the applicant to be certified to the IOWA (Iowa On-Line Warrants and
Articles) system and the NCIC (National Crime Information Center) system.
• A criminal background check (including drug convictions/arrests) is required.
• Must complete a forty (40) hour BASIC Telecommunications program through the IOWA
Law Enforcement Academy within one (1) year of appointment.
Click Apply Now to Learn More!
Written Examination will be held on Tuesday, July 30, 2019 Polk County River Place, 2309 Euclid Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50310
Location/Region: Des Moines, IA