Job DescriptionGeneral Responsibilities:
Terracon has an opportunity for a Senior Construction Materials Technician/Inspector to join our team in Somerville/Boston, MA. Our Senior Construction Materials Technician/Inspector will perform field and/or laboratory testing, observation, and inspection on construction materials such as soils, concrete, masonry, reinforcing steel and asphalt. You will communicate with Project Managers, client representatives, contractor’s representatives and other key stakeholders regarding testing and inspection results. Tests are performed on building construction projects in the Somerville/Boston, MA area and in the Terracon laboratories. Successful candidates will receive in-depth technical training and professional certifications as they advance in the position.
Safety is Terracon’s most important core value! Terracon provides a safe work environment for our employees, and provide safe practices for our technicians to follow. Incident and Injury-Free (IIF) is about care and concern for people. It is our personal and organizational commitment at all levels of the company to everyone going home safe to their family every day. We will hold ourselves responsible not just for our own safety and wellbeing, but for that of everyone around us. Essential Role and Responsibilities:
- Perform sample tests, observation and inspection of soils, aggregates, concrete, masonry, reinforcing steel and asphalt in accordance with training and the specified procedures.
- Document and prepare sample testing and observation data using a laptop or tablet device; submit findings accurately to a Project Manager.
- Effectively communicate testing and inspection results.
- May train lower level technicians.
- May lead the activities of other technicians in the laboratory or on larger field projects.
- Ensure that all testing equipment and tools are properly calibrated and maintained.
- Follows safety rules and practices and other safety requirements for all projects. Performs pre-task planning prior to executing work. Reports any safety issues or concerns to management.
- Maintains quality standards on all projects.
- Transports materials safely from various job sites to the lab using a company provided full size pickup truck.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum 3-5 years of relevant experience or the equivalent in training and related experience. Has experience and proficiency in multiple areas of field testing and inspection and or laboratory testing
- Experience with laptop computer use and Microsoft Word and Excel
- Certified in radiation safety and Nuclear Density Gauge operations
- Successful completion of related internal safety and technical certifications
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history
- Certifications in one or more of the following areas:
- ACI in one or more of the following areas: Concrete Field Testing Technician Grade I, Concrete Strength Testing Technician, Masonry Field Testing Technician.
- NETTCP certifications in any of the following: Concrete Inspector, Concrete Technician, HMA Paving Inspector, HMA Plant Technician, Precast Concrete Inspector, Soil & Aggregate Inspector, and Soil & Aggregate Lab Technician.
- ICC certification in one or more of the following categories: Reinforced Concrete, Spray-applied Fireproofing, Structural Masonry, Prestressed/Post-Tensioned Concrete, Structural Steel – Bolting, Structural Steel – Welding.
- American Welding Society (AWS) Certified Associate Welding Inspector (CAWI)
- American Society for Nondestructive Testing (ASNT) Level II certification in more than one of the following areas: Visual Testing (VT), Magnetic Particle Testing (MT), Dye Penetrant Testing (PT), Radiographic Testing (RT), Ultrasonic Testing (UT).
Other national, regional, state, and local Materials related certifications requiring experience and written examination will also be considered if deemed appropriate by the Terracon Department Manager.
The successful candidate will be encouraged to expand their skills and certifications through company provided training and mentoring. This is an opportunity to become a member of a successful team, be part of the construction process and make a career at a steady, growing organization.
Wondering what a day in the life as a Materials Technician at Terracon would look like? Watch this short video before applying.
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 4,000 employees in over 140 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon offers an excellent compensation and benefits package including: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid holidays.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.
Location/Region: Somerville, MA