Are you interested in making a world of difference in cancer care?
Cancer strikes more than 10 million people worldwide each year. As the leading medical society representing doctors who care for people with cancer, the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) is committed to conquering cancer through research, education, and promotion of the highest quality patient care.
Who we are:
ASCO is a stable, forward-thinking membership organization that operates in a results-oriented work environment in which employees’ evaluation emphasizes performance outcomes over presence or time. This is an Alexandria, VA position that offers an excellent benefits package and opportunities to participate in professional development programs. To learn what it’s like to work at ASCO, click here.
Who we are looking for:
We are looking for a high performing Senior Coordinator, Patient Advocacy and Communications with at least 5 years of communications and program coordination experience to join our Communications and Marketing department. The selected candidate will administer programs and services of ASCO’s patient education and advocacy team, particularly patient advocate programs, patient advocate outreach and partnerships, and ASCO-sponsored events.
What you will do:
- Plan and implement programs for patient advocates that attend the ASCO Annual Meeting and ASCO Symposia, including communications/announcements, registration, exhibits, scholarships, educational and networking opportunities
- Serve as a liaison with the patient advocacy community, representing ASCO and serving as a main point of contact
- Administer outreach program, which includes writing and disseminating information about patient advocate programs and ASCO news
- Contribute to patient education program/Cancer.Net by updating, maintaining, and posting content related to patient advocate programs, ASCO Annual Meeting and Symposia, Cancer.Net blog posts, and resource lists of non-profit organizations
What you will need in order to be successful:
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Public Relations or a related field
- 5 or more years of experience working in communications/public relations
- Prior experience as a patient advocate and/or experience working for a non-profit patient advocacy organization and/or non-profit organization
- Excellent customer service skills, verbal and written communications skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
- Self-starter with strong time management skills, and ability to prioritize work and multitask
- Demonstrated ability to create programs, develop timelines and plans, balance competing priorities, and meet tight deadlines
- Experience using a database program, email program, and posting software (i.e. Drupal, ExactTarget, Adobe Campaign)
Ideal candidates will also contribute:
- Education and training as a patient advocate
- Basic knowledge and understanding of cancer
ASCO is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)