Position Title: Assistant Director of the Thurmond Negotiation Lab and the Customer Analytics & Strategy Collaboratory
Position Rank: Lecturer, non-tenure track
Position Summary: Old Dominion University is seeking to fill one professional faculty position beginning in Fall 2019. This position will support the business development and operation of the newly created Thurmond Negotiation Lab as well as the Customer Analytics & Strategy Collaboratory. The Assistant Director’s job will primarily involve business development, community outreach, marketing, and logistics coordination. The position will also involve teaching one undergraduate sales/marketing course per semester in the Fall and Spring semesters.
Position Responsibilities: The Assistant Director’s responsibilities will be in three key areas:
- Thurmond Negotiations Lab (50%): A key mission of the Thurmond Negotiation Lab is to empower women and minorities through sales and negotiation education. The Thurmond Negotiation Lab serves four communities: (1) local organizations and sales professionals, (2) undergraduate students interested in sales and negotiation, (3) vulnerable women and minority populations, and (4) academic sales and negotiation scholars. This position focuses on the first three communities. Duties will include helping the Lab Director with a variety of activities such as community outreach, undergraduate sales and negotiation education, coaching undergraduate students for sales and negotiation competitions, organizing the sales club, budgeting and controlling funds for the center, developing a program for community seminars about negotiating/sales, fundraising, and applying for local community grants. Sales competitions may sometimes entail travel.
- Loyalty Science Lab (25%): The Loyalty Science Lab is dedicated to advancing scientific knowledge on customer loyalty through rigorous research. By facilitating dialogue and collaboration between academia and marketing practice, the Lab aims to produce scientifically sound and practically relevant insights for better managing and leveraging customer loyalty. The Assistant Director will oversee day-to-day operation of the Lab, manage marketing and communication initiatives both online and offline, and help develop collaborative opportunities with corporate partners.
- Undergraduate teaching (25%): The successful candidate is required to teach one undergraduate marketing or sales course per semester during the Fall and Spring semesters. Courses may involve sales, digital marketing, or general marketing topics; and they may be delivered in traditional classroom as well as online settings. Quality teaching is expected.
- Required materials: Complete the online application and upload the following for a complete application: cover letter, resume or C.V., recommendation letters from three work or academic references, and a statement outlining some ideas for fostering collaboration between universities and the business community. Submit materials to https://jobs.odu.edu/ Review of applications will begin July 1, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
- About Old Dominion University: Old Dominion University is located in the Norfolk - Virginia Beach metropolitan area (in the greater Hampton Roads), with a population of about 1.5 million. The area is rich in recreational and cultural activities. Washington, DC is only three hours away, and Norfolk has one of the best natural harbors on the East Coast. Old Dominion University is an internationally-oriented, state-supported institution of over 24,000 diverse students. The Strome College of Business offers AACSB-accredited undergraduate, MBA, and Ph.D. degrees (including a Ph.D. degree in Marketing). The Department of Marketing consists of a collegial group of faculty who are championing exciting initiatives to increase research impact and engagement with the business community.
- It is the policy of Old Dominion University to provide equal employment, educational and social opportunities for all persons, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, gender, age, veteran status, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation or genetic information. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Location/Region: Norfolk, VA (23529)