One-time, potentially curative cell and gene therapies that can be administered once is how Novartis is reimagining medicine for patients with serious, rare and life-threatening diseases.
New advances in cell and gene therapies offer the potential to transform medicine. They create an inflection point in our ability to treat and even potentially cure many intractable illnesses and we are at the forefront of these therapies.
We are looking for a Director Bio-therapeutic Engineering and Gene Therapies to lead us to the future.
In this role, you will define a global technology and discovery strategy for innovative bio-therapeutics such as complex proteins, nucleic acid-based approaches and AAV gene therapy and connect associates work to that shared purpose. You will lead all technology activities and early development in this area globally by modelling our values and in support of the company’s cultural aspirations.
What you’ll be doing
• Create and communicate inspiring vision for the unit.
• Build state of the art and effective core for AAV support in NIBR create world-class AAV research capabilities that provide solutions for current and future needs of AAV-based gene therapies.
• Build and maintain strong relationships both internally and externally, e.g. global scientific medical research community (academia and biotech) and relevant research alliances.
• Pursue and develop technologies to support the discovery of innovative therapeutic biologics.
• Create innovative research direction and programs, introduce new approaches to maintain leading capabilities in protein engineering and nucleic acid therapeutics, and improve own platform value chain.
• Develop new therapeutic concepts based on the unit’s technical capabilities.
• Demonstrate knowledge of bio-therapeutics drug discovery, drug development and the understanding of the pharmaceutical industry, including suppliers, customers, competitors and regulatory agencies.
• Make sound scientific and business decisions based on the interplay of data, analysis and experience and adherence to budget.
• Manage unit leadership team through development and retention of talent, and effective succession planning.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: What you will bring to the role:
• PhD with 10+ years of experience biomedical research including exposure to a broad scope of bio-therapeutics.
• Research/scientific leadership experience with scientific studies (protein sciences, biochemistry and analytics).
• Strong experience and track record in AAV gene therapies (academia or industry)
• Experience in bringing -biologics through discovery into development.
• Accomplishments should include major scientific discoveries, leading publications, and successful drug record.
• Provide comprehensive medium to long-term research strategy with a clear understanding of deliverables.
• Balance portfolio (risk and time horizon) of discovery and technology projects.
• Deliver an effective set of technologies to support biologics discovery and development.
• Review project progress periodically within the unit and implement corrective actions when necessary.
• Propose major new external collaborations for both unit and NBC.
What Novartis can offer you?
Yes, we offer exceptional benefits and competitive salaries. However, we can offer more. Here you will:
• We have a clear mission, focused strategy and strong culture, all of which we expect will support the creation of value over the long term for our company, our shareholders and society.
• Our strategy is to build a leading, focused medicines company powered by advanced therapy platforms and data science.
• We maintain substantial investment in research and development (R&D) aimed at areas of unmet medical need. Our product pipeline is fed by a research and development approach that uses the latest science to advance the most promising projects.
Why consider Novartis?
Transformative medicines need transformative thinking. We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous, and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
To Apply for this position, please CLICK HERE
Location/Region: Cambridge, MA (02138)