Deputy Public Services Director
This is professional engineering work of more than average difficulty to complement the management of development within the City. This position will be under general direction of the Public Services Director. This position is an assistant department head with responsibility to support or act as the director in the absence of the Public Services Director. He will assists in planning, organizing, directing and supervising the activities of the Public Services Department including capital improvement project management activities; provides expert professional assistance to Director and other Departments (i.,e., Community Redevelopment Authority, Community Development, Parks and Recreation) in areas of expertise, including but not limited to engineering, infrastructure planning, storm water conveyance and management, water treatment and distribution system, sewage collection system, solid waste collection and disposal, roadways and streets improvements and maintenance, and landscape and grounds maintenance; and performs related duties as required. Responsibilities also include analyzing special conditions/circumstances which arise on the projects, assisting with solving difficult or unusual engineering and construction problems and assisting in the implementation of citywide infrastructure and development objectives. This position is responsible for reviewing site plans, plats, building and right-of- way use permits for compliance with drainage, paving and grading, water, and sewer requirements for compliance with City codes and provides comments to design professionals for same; including preparation of staff memos and reports as required and intergovernmental coordination with local government agencies, Broward County, DPEP, SFWMD, FDOT and other county, state and federal agencies.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position.
- Responsible for reviewing site plans, plats, and building permits for compliance with drainage, paving and grading, water, and sewer requirements;
- Supervises the work of division supervisory staff and work teams; assign work activities, projects and programs; monitor work flow, schedule and budget; coach, motivate, monitor, correct and evaluate performance; develop and implement staff training programs and plans, particularly in employee safety; recommend employee recognition, discipline and termination;
- Participates in the development, planning and implementation of department goals and objectives; administer approved policies and procedures; coordinate activities with those of other departmental divisions, City departments and outside agencies and organizations;
- Oversees, participates and manages the development of Capital Improvement Program budgets; participate in the forecast of expenses and additional funds needed for staffing, consultants, equipment, materials, and supplies; assist administer the approved budget and capital improvements program;
- Drafts memoranda, letters, and other forms of correspondence; prepare various reports, presentations; and report/present findings to Public Services Director, City Manager, City Commission, Committees, Developers, and members of the community;
- Manages and oversees land development services including plan check operations in conjunction with the other City Departments, and the review and approval of traffic impact analysis reports, encroachment agreements, and various encroachment and right of way permits;
- Serves as the City liaison to Broward County Traffic Engineering and the Florida Department of Transportation regarding county and state road projects in the City of Dania
- Manages special programs and coordinate engineering assistance to other departments;
- Responds to and meet with property owners, homeowner groups, business districts, and the public; meet and negotiate with various regulatory agencies; represent the City as a witness in legal actions;
- Signs and seals engineering plans and documents as a Professional Registered Engineer on behalf of the City as its City Engineer; and
- Perform related functions assigned.
OTHER SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS
- Compiles and utilizes pertinent regulations, codes, etc. to make recommendations and decisions regarding developer
- Enforces design standards, design details
- Defines current engineering practices and preferences for developer projects
- Identifies environmental and other permitting
- Reviews permitting drawings in accordance to City of Dania Beach Code
- Reviews plans and other documents for compliance with City codes and provides comments to design professionals for same
- Monitors consultant services and maintains records including reports done by previous consultants.
- Confers with developer’s engineers and architects on problems of design, construction, or maintenance of developer-proposed facilities; determines permitting requirements and obtains necessary permits; prepares reports and makes recommendations relating to the conduct of engineering
- Makes presentations to interested parties regarding proposed or on-going projects at the direction of the Public Services
- Participation at City Commission meetings and other community meetings, as required
- Writes performance evaluations, handles employee complaints and grievances; recommends the hiring, promotion or termination of
- Provides assistance to supervisors; prepares reports and makes presentations to supervisors, boards, commissions, civic groups and the general
- Reviews permit plans for commercial, industrial, and residential
- Reviews subdivision and preliminary plats, variances, special exception applications for conformance to civil engineering
- Responsible for developing and maintaining the City’s geographic information system and computer aided design system, including archiving of various development projects both public and
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of engineering, particularly as applied to the design, construction, and maintenance of projects.
- Knowledge of municipal engineering objectives, purposes, methods and practices.
- Considerable knowledge of the current literature, trends, and developments in the field of engineering specification.
- Knowledge of established Federal, State, County and City policies, procedures and regulations as they relate to the field of engineering specification, including the Florida Building Code.
- Ability to perform technical research and to give reliable advice on difficult engineering problems.
- Ability to adapt approved engineering methods and to present findings and recommendations effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to prepare and interpret engineering plans and specifications and to calculate stresses and deflections in structures.
- Ability to supervise and review the work of others.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials and other employees, contractors, and the general public.
A Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or a closely related field is required. A Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Urban and Regional Planning, or a combination of such training in a related field is preferred. Possession of a valid driver’s license with an overall good driving record required. If driver’s license is out of state, must be able to obtain Florida driver’s license within 6 months of hire date. Possession of current licensing as a Registered Professional Engineer issued by the Florida Board of Professional. A minimum of two (2)years of municipal government experience preferred. This position requires a minimum of ten (10) years of increasingly responsible municipal or public works engineering experience including two (2) years supervisory experience along with substantial experience in managing public works capital improvement programs, transportation engineering, and/or development planning
Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation.
Work is performed:
a) in usual office conditions with rare exposure to disagreeable environmental factors, and
b) outdoor conditions with some exposure to dust, fumes, etc. associated with construction sites.
The City of Dania Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Dania Beach provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Location/Region: Fleming Island, FL (32003)