Amherst College invites applications for the Print, Bindery & Mailing Technician position. The Print, Bindery & Mailing Technician is a full time, year round position, job group and level AO-2. The Print, Bindery & Mailing Technician assists in preparing, processing, and completing printed and postal jobs following UPS, USPS and Amherst College guidelines, and operates various bindery machines along with the Xante digital envelope press. The person in this position manages multiple priorities, tasks and projects; meets deadlines on a daily basis; and is committed to quality and excellent customer service. Takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Print Production/Bindery Operations
- Handles various machines and equipment and performs any combination of following tasks involved in folding and binding books, periodicals, pamphlets, and assembling related printed materials in accordance with work order specifications: Punches holes in paper sheets, manually or by machine.
- Fastens sheets, or other printed materials together, using hand or machine stapler, or adjusts or handles machine that inserts wire or plastic binding strips into punched holes to fasten pages and covers together. Feeds covers and sheets into various machines for collating, stitching, trimming, folding, stapling, gluing and perforating operations. Removes, stacks, and packs printed material in various stages of completion as it accumulates on delivery table of machines.
- Examines stitched, collated, bound, and unbound publications to ascertain that pages are bound in numerical or folio order according to sample copy, and for such defects as imperfect bindings, ink spots, torn, loose, and uneven pages, and loose and uncut threads.
- Inserts illustrated pages, extra sheets, and collated sets into catalogs, periodicals, directories, pocket portfolios, or loose leaf binders, and inserts sheets and applies labels to envelopes or periodicals by hand or machine.
- Wrap all stationery to preserve from dirt and moisture.
- Record production sheet information, such as the amount of time spent on specific tasks.
- Cut stock where appropriate using the industrial-sized cutter. Maintain blades and troubleshoot all problems to obtain peak performance, eliminating downtime and notifying service when appropriate.
- Using the PerfMaster Air perfing and scoring equipment, create perfed stock to be used for annual solicitations from the Development Office as well as other departments requiring perfed stock. Score jobs printed on heavy card stock to reduce cracking when folded.
- Set up and operate the Xante Digital press to achieve optimum printing of those jobs requiring high quality and/or color, using the specialized I-queue 8 workflow software, to ensure consistency in color and quality. Create job estimate quotes when needed.
- Maintain the Xante to eliminate downtime, ordering supplies and troubleshooting problems as they exist and calling service when appropriate.
- Using the software packages utilized by the department, create digital originals for the Xante as well as other equipment in the department, updating information and saving all originals stored on the OAS Common Drive for use by others in the office.
- Review, proof and double check jobs, paying attention to detail to ensure costly postage errors are avoided.
- Manage a large volume of mailings, including downloading addresses from the network and importing into specialized software, printing addresses directly onto the mail piece using a Bryce Ink Jet Printer; folding, inserting, tabbing, and metering of mail, allocating the charges to the correct general ledger account; prioritizing work so the time-sensitive mailings are completed quickly and accurately.
- Manage specialized mailings for the Development office, matching contributor slips to personalized letters ensuring 100% accuracy for the entire job.
- Implement USPS regulations for all types of discounted mail, ensuring that postage savings for the requesting department are obtained for all mailings.
- Operate all equipment in the mailing center including the Bryce Ink Jet Printer, tabber, folders, strapper, meters, and tying machines, ensuring optimum performance on each; calling for service when problems arise and cannot be fixed in-house. Export presort information into Excel to print merged letters and corresponding envelopes. Export NCOA address changes and send to appropriate departments to update address lists for future use.
- Update software when required (includes Satori - presort software as well as UPS software), ensuring that correct postal rates are used at all times.
- Assists customers with any and all questions/requests regarding mailings and UPS rates.
- Act as liaison with the US Post Office and implement new postal regulations as they become effective.
Stock Room, Supplies and Inventory
- Organize, maintain and update inventory of supplies in stockroom including, paper, envelopes, Xante toner supplies, printed stationery as well as specialized stock used for commencement and other special projects. Order and unload inventory as it is delivered, rotating stock when needed.
- Consult with customers as to appropriate stock for job and ordering it when needed.
- Maintain inventory of mass mailing materials for Alumni, Development and Comptrollers, notifying when stock becomes low and reordering is necessary.
- Keep stock room neat and orderly, eliminating potential safety hazards.
- Keep an inventory in Excel of stock so overstocking does not occur.
- Assist in the operation of the high volume copiers, collating, copying, booklet making, padding, cutting, dye-sublimation and vinyl application on on clothing and products etc., when needed, as instructed by supervisor and utilizing all of the software needed to complete jobs accurately and in a timely manner. Turn-around time in the department is usually same day or 24 hours (except during peak times of course-work).
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- 3 years related experience in print production, mailroom/bindery operation
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word, and the ability to learn new software
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong time management and organizational skills, ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and as a team member; take initiative; ability to streamline job processes; and have a high level of production flexibility
- Commitment to or experience working with a diverse community
- Experience with UPS, USPS, postal software (Satori Bulk Mailer & G2) and Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with design layout
Interestedcandidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Review of applications will continue until position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/drbmkvxsf26c9sh3