SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Avionics Production Manager – PCBA & Electro-Mechanical Assembly (User Terminal)
- Manage a team of 80+ technicians on a 2 shift structure.
- Implement a development program to enhance the capability of all team members while improving quality and reducing lead time and cost.
- Ensure a strong focus is placed on safety and maintain an excellent safety record.
- Champion continuous improvement projects using appropriate metrics and data sources.
- Use quality metrics to continually improve the quality output of the manufacturing team. Play a leading role in ensuring root causes for quality issues are identified and appropriate improvement actions are put in place.
- Manage resource levels to ensure optimum performance of the team.
- Monitor and communicate area status/readiness and risks to leadership.
- Monitor and maintain compliance to internal quality and customer contractual requirements.
- Own implementation of improvement or mitigation plans needed to achieve the next level of performance.
- Foster a spirit of cooperation within and between departments.
- Collaborate with engineering partners to ensure product development meets with the goals of product manufacturability.
- Review work instructions and make change recommendations when needed to improve processes.
- Meet tight production schedules to achieve high rate production, while adapting to changing priorities in a fast moving environment.
- Think creatively; question the status quo, while following documentation and maintaining prescribed quality standards.
- Implement machine maintenance schedules and back-up spares availability to ensure uptime and output performance.
- Bachelor of Science in mechanical, industrial, aerospace, electrical or manufacturing engineering or 5 years of leadership experience.
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in a manufacturing environment working within a recognized quality system (e.g. AS9100, ISO9001).
- Experience with ERP systems, work order creation/management and BOM Structures.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- SpaceX experience.
- Demonstrated professional experience building and leading teams of highly skilled technicians in a fast paced, high technology field.
- Experience transitioning products from design to manufacturing as part of a cross-functional team.
- Experience in fast-paced iterative design environments within the consumer electronics, mobile handset, medical devices, aerospace or automotive industries.
- Demonstrated capability to solve complex problems with little to no supervision on schedule as an individual or as a member of an integrated team.
- Experience with end-to-end printed circuit board fabrication and assembly, with strong understanding of soldering (SMT & through hole) and post processing manufacturing processes.
- Working experience with IPC-A-610 and J-STD-001 manufacturing for Class 3 products.
- Experience and/or certification with statistical process control such as Six Sigma or Lean Six Sigma.
- Working proficiency with DFMEA and PFMEA methodology and implementation.
- Experience with automated electronics test methods such as flying probes or bed of nails.
- Experience identifying and analyzing production process improvements for rate and quality.
- Ability to effectively communicate (verbal and written) with Engineering and Production.
- Able to adapt to constant changing work assignments in a fast-paced production environment.
- Working experience with root cause analysis, preferably using industry best practice techniques such as 8D, 5Y and Ishikawa.
- Experience monitoring, tracking and continually improving the total cost of unit production.
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry.
- Hands-on leader with a passion for continuous improvement and building the best hardware.
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 25 lbs. unassisted.
- Able to travel for short and extended trips as needed. Up to 10% travel.
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Location/Region: Hawthorne, CA