Laboratory Coordinator II
The University Of Delaware
Under the general direction of the Dairy Plant Manager and UDairy Creamery Director in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, the Lab Coordinator operates the QA lab for the UDairy Creamery Production facilities. The Lab Coordinator is responsible for updating and maintaining the UDairy Creamerys Food Safety Plan and ensuring the plant is meeting USDA, FDA and FSMA guidelines to ensure the creamery is producing the safest and highest quality products possible. The Lab Coordinator works closely with the Plant Manager and Plant Operators to assist in production when needed, maintain documents and records from daily operations, and regularly inspect and ensure safety standards are met by plant employees.
Assists with the operational and administrative functions of the QA Lab including inventory and ordering of supplies, sending samples to proper labs, testing all raw and finished products for quality, and managing interns and student employees. Conducts quality and food safety audits. Assists with the scheduling, use and operations of QA lab, Test Kitchen, and plant with academic needs requested by faculty, students and staff and outside business requests.
- Maintains the laboratory’s state certification and all permits and licenses for product testing, employee certification, and permits for processing.
- Maintains documentation required by FDA and USDA, including but not limited to: pasteurization charts, sanitation records, records of manufacture for all products, certificates of analysis for ingredients, and packaging information.
- Accompanies inspectors during plant audits and inspections.
- Performs required tests on raw product, ingredients, and finished product to verify compliance with federal and state standards of identity and food safety. These include (but are not limited to) antibiotic residue, bacteriological (coliform and aerobic plate counts), compositional (fats, solids, protein), environmental testing, enzymatic assays on products made and distributed by UDairy Creamery, and chemical testing of cleaning solutions.
- Provides dairy farm with reports on each tote of milk picked up from farm and coordinates milk check.
- Assists in producing nutritional information and labeling in accordance to FDA and FSMA guidelines.
- Conducts quality and food safety audits of the lab, plant and records.
- Implements corrective action based upon audits and daily testing results.
- Prepares food quality and safety reports and submission of necessary documentation to various state and federal agencies detailing milk usage and product manufacture. Prepares separate reports detailing the allocation and disposition of raw milk and cream to necessary agencies.
- Develops and maintains a Food Safety Plan including but not limited to HACCP procedures, SOP’s, SSOP’s, Material Data Sheets, Food Safety Plans and requirements for compliance with the Food Safety Modernization Act.
- Provides support functions for the Creamery production plant and its personnel, including preparation of cultures and preservatives, providing product formulas when needed, calibrating instruments, calculating vitamin additions, maintaining inventories, and ordering supplies.
- Assists in the production of cheese and/or other dairy products when needed.
- Supports the educational mission of the UDairy Creamery and Food Science Department
- Trains, teaches and supervises faculty, staff and students on equipment in lab and plant and ensures proper record keeping.
- Supervises interns, undergraduate and graduate students working in the lab.
- Assists in giving tours of the facility.
- Assists with recording and management of the QA lab purchasing expenses and income.
- Supervises, motivates, develops, and trains undergraduate and graduate students and interns.
- Coordinates and supervises student interns and graduate students using the facilities or conducting research.
- Trains staff and students on areas of Food Safety Plan including but not limited to production, FSMA, GMPs, SSOPs, SOPs, Record Keeping
- Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology, Food Science, dairy science or closely related field with at least four years of related work experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience or academic background working in a QA or microbiology lab.
- Advanced knowledge of USDA, FDA, DHSS and FSMA regulations.
- Knowledge of computer programs and computerized information systems. Ability to develop, plan, implement and analyze written plans, documentations, records and procedures.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be or become PCQI certified within 3 months of hiring.
- Must be or become ServSafe certified within 60 days
- Must be or become a certified milk hauler/sampler within 60 days
- With or without assistance, must be able to lift or move up to 50 pounds
TO APPLY: For a complete list of requirements and job duties and to apply online, please visit the UDJOBS website at www.udel.edu/udjobs Job ID 493912 .
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from minority group members, women, individuals with a disability and veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html. Employment offers will be conditioned upon successful completion of a criminal background check. A conviction will not necessarily exclude you from employment.
Location/Region: Newark, DE