SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not.Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
INTEGRATION & TEST ENGINEER (SATELLITES)
The Avionics team is looking for an exemplary individual to lead integration and test efforts with SpaceX satellite systems. Our integration and test engineers are responsible for understanding every system and how they are interconnected. A successful integration and test engineer demonstrates strong engineering intuition and critical thinking, and is comfortable working with minimal oversight.
This role will lead integration of satellite systems through testing and qualification, working closely with small teams on interdisciplinary development projects in order to meet deadlines. You will support electrical integration and test operations on flight hardware, and put your engineering knowledge to the test, by performing real-time troubleshooting on the satellite systems as they go through integration and test phases.
- Own integration and test operations while monitoring and maintaining the health of our satellites during integration and test campaigns
- Design high-level vehicle assembly architecture and manage vehicle integration build flow and test operations
- Interface with engineers and technicians to optimize proposed designs for integration, testing, and manufacturability
- Specify and drive creation of representative flight hardware test tables or system simulators to support software development and system verification and validation
- Create, maintain and communicate detailed schedules ensuring that all assigned personnel are aware of theirs tasks and deadlines while identifying required resources and securing allocation to meet needs
- Troubleshoot issues on prototype and production assemblies on an aggressive schedule
- Support integration and test at customer facility and launch site to ensure mission success
- Work collaboratively in multidisciplinary teams to represent the avionics system in defining scope, system requirements, and vehicle level trades as designs move from concept to production
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 2+ years of professional experience in system-level integration of electronic components and system-level testing, including system and sub-system cradle to grave ownership
- 1+ years of professional experience managing complex technical projects and developing and tracking schedules
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s or PhD in an engineering discipline
- Demonstrated engineering intuition, critical thinking, comfort with ambiguity
- Experience writing test plans, procedures, and providing operational support to cross-functional teams
- Hands-on experience using electrical test equipment (multimeters, oscilloscopes, power supplies, etc.)
- Experience with 3D CAD and mechanical design, fabrication, and qualification in flight environments
- Experience with Python or test automation
- Experience with wire harnesses and connectors
- Creative, passionate problem solver that can thrive leading teams through fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding design and integration campaigns
- Strong sense of accountability, integrity, and team focus with extensive multi-tasking and organizational experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- Some travel will be required
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Location/Region: Hawthorne, CA