At Recursion, we combine experimental biology, automation and artificial intelligence to quickly and efficiently identify treatments for human diseases. The Vice President of Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics (DMPK) will be responsible for leading and managing all aspects of non-clinical DMPK activities, conducted both internally and externally, and contributing to the discovery and characterization of high-quality development candidates.
THE PROBLEMS YOU’LL SOLVE
This is a leadership position reporting directly to the Chief Scientific Officer. If you are passionate about discovering medicines, seeking the opportunity to build a sophisticated DMPK function from the ground up and eager to participate in the creation of novel predictive computational DMPK tools to accelerate drug-discovery, let’s talk.
In this role you will:
- Build out the DMPK function at Recursion including developing critical internal experimental capabilities, forging relationships with CRO’s and hiring a team of Scientists and Research Associates in time.
- Apply DMPK principles to enable lead-optimization, execution of in vivo pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic (PK-PD) studies, PB-PK modeling and prediction of human pharmacokinetics.
- Show curiosity with a learner mindset and an openness to emerging tech in this role. You will work with data scientists and engineers towards the creation of innovative, predictive and computational DMPK tools and integrate them with other proprietary machine-learning enabled platforms.
- Collaborate with chemists, biologists and data scientists to contribute toward the identification of high-quality development candidates.
THE EXPERIENCE YOU’LL NEED
- PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences or a related life-science field
- 12+ years of industry experience
- Sound theoretical understanding and practical experience in applying principles of ADME, computational PK and systems biology in drug discovery
- Strong practical knowledge of IND requirements and filing of regulatory documents.
- Excellent project, time management, and problem solving skills
- Ability to articulate scientific data and strategic messages to internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to comprehend scientific literature outside of one’s immediate area of expertise and appropriately apply this to problem solving.
- Experience in selecting and managing CROs.
THE PERKS YOU’LL ENJOY
- Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums (in most cases 100%)
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option grants
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter) in addition to flexible, generous vacation/sick leave
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Fully-paid gym membership to Metro Fitness, located just feet away from our new headquarters
- Gleaming new 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking
WHAT WE DO
We start with various human cell types in our automated laboratory, where we perturb biology 100k different ways each week (e.g. model a disease of interest, add a chemical compound, or some combination of those). We image the resulting cells using high throughput microscopy, resulting in about 2 million new images or greater than 20 terabytes of data each week. These data are analyzed using computer vision and machine learning methods that help us measure how cell morphology changes in subtle ways in each biological context. We can answer direct questions (e.g. are there compounds that rescues a disease-specific set of morphological changes), and over time as our dataset has increased, we can ask more complex questions across biology. From the outset, our approach is agnostic to preconceived notions and dogma in biology, enabling Recursion to operate in novel target space. Potential treatments from this platform are then evaluated by our discovery biology team, who develop a literature-based understanding of the disease and use traditional wet-lab approaches to confirm and prioritize the hits.
Recursion is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. Recursion strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against applicants because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
Check out what it is like to work at Recursion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpOENLieOd8
Location/Region: Salt Lake City, UT