Senior Commodity Manager – Alpharetta, Georgia
Johnson Outdoors, Inc. is currently looking for a Senior Commodity Manager to direct, plan, organize and control the sourcing of materials and services that embodies major strategic commodities which are highly financially impactful. The individual will also implement global supply management strategies to achieve supplier partnerships, supplier base reduction, effective asset management, continuous quality improvement, delivery and cycle time performance improvement, and early supplier involvement in Johnson Outdoors’ new product developments.
Education and Experience Requirements
A Bachelor’s degree in business, economics, engineering, or equivalent and a minimum of 7 years of experience as managing moderately complex procurement contracts, vendor negotiations and the sourcing of goods and services. Also, experience in or having audited and qualified a manufacturing plant. In addition, experience in commodities such as plastics, PCBS and metal stamping as well as experience with international travel, especially to Asia.
- Negotiates and administers complex procurement contracts that encompass cost savings and delivery. Leads moderately complex to complex negotiations on strategic sourcing contracts, ensuring legally binding and auditable elements are accurately documented and retained. Selects, appoints and steers a supply base that progresses JOI’s objectives on cost, cash, service levels and technology platforms.
- Develops, evaluates, and manages supplier relationships to accomplish material cost, availability and inventory goals. Must analyze / troubleshoot quality problems and influence suppliers in the resolution process.
- Maintains supplier quality through assessment, evaluation and ongoing monitoring which includes supplier performance management in the areas of delivery, process flexibility and total cost management. Additionally, oversees supplier performance by performing periodic credit/organizational reviews, ensuring supplier site audits, and developing and reporting supplier performance metrics. Acts like a liaison between suppliers and Johnson Outdoors Inc. (JOI) to troubleshoot, analyze and resolve issues as well as to deliver solutions to avoid supply interruption and adverse costs.
- Procures and evaluates all necessary new materials for each phase of design process. Coordinates supplier information gathering and visits: arranges engineering samples and leads the qualification process of new, updated or troublesome materials with suppliers and JOI inspection. Supports production/new product introduction activity by serving as a member and/or materials resource on product development teams.
- Designs, develops and implements commodity procurement plans, this includes managing the transition of new and existing business to the strategic suppliers. Ensures a smooth and positive transition to JOI’s customers.
- Develops inventory targets, monitors phases of all processes to forecast fluctuations, and alerts teams of needed inventory adjustments.
- Develops and regularly monitors plan to minimize obsolete, out of date or any other scrap material in most efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Reviews, researches, designs, implements and monitors Vendor Managed inventory (VMI) programs (existing and future). Provides leadership and direction to cross functional relationships with suppliers and JOI Production, Quality, Finance departments as well as logistics planning.
- Provides leadership in the research of new products/processes technologies. Works closely with sales and engineering influencing design and material selection to ensure lowest cost materials/services at highest quality and on time delivery.
- Monitors and manages external influences to cost and performance (short and long term) including economical, logistics and environmental and routinely provides guidance and daily direction to buyers relative to business partners and suppliers.
- Executes designated regulatory requirements, including country of origin certificates and other international shipping requirements. Researches and assigns Harmonized Tariff Codes to purchased parts.
- Monitors market technology and trends. Keeps the business aware of necessary movement in the industry relevant to the production and sourcing/purchasing markets.
- Requires some domestic and international travel.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated leadership skills and abilities to influence others, lead work teams and provide guidance to other staff.
- Skills and ability to effectively manage complex internal and external supplier relationships requiring diplomacy and negotiation skills and a depth of specialized knowledge.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills to effectively communicate with all levels throughout the organization and external vendors, strong customer service orientation, excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to drive for results.
- Good working knowledge of a wide variety of mechanical / electrical devices, capability to perform specialized analysis/calculations, and knowledge of applicable manufacturing processes and equipment.
- Experience in Manufacturing Requirements Planning (MRP), and JD Edwards (JDE), logistics and domestic/international contract writing.
- Advanced skills and proficiency in using the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Expertise in managing projects from concept development to implementation and evaluation.
The Alpharetta office is all about location. Located off GA 400, Exit 12A just inside Forsyth County, we offer a great work environment that drives innovation. Ask an employee what comes to mind about the Alpharetta office and you will hear comments like interesting technology, flexibility, ethical culture, innovation, casual, professional work environment, great co-workers and a focus on the great outdoors with our products.
Our total compensation package is competitive with our local employment market. We are proud to provide our employees with an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, prescription drug coverage, life insurance, paid time off, profit sharing, and 401(k) with employer match.
The Humminbird Brand
Revealing the water’s secrets to help anglers pursue their passion for the sport: it’s what we’ve done since the first fish finder we developed as Techsonic Industries in 1971, and it’s what we’ll always do.
From flashers to LCDs, analog to digital and DualBeam to MEGA Imaging™, the past five decades have seen tremendous change at Humminbird. Starting with best-in-class sonar and depth finders, our innovations have grown to include marine GPS, LakeMaster® cartography, radar and full boat control integration.
But as our technology advances and the connected world brings new challenges and opportunities, our goal remains the same as it was on day one. From our home base in Eufaula, AL, we are here to help anglers make the most of every minute on the water.
Whether you’re competing in a fishing tournament or making the most of a family vacation using a fish finder product, count on us to help you find the best fishing hot spots faster, and to explore the water with confidence. Because that’s what makes Humminbird Simply. Clearly. Better.
The Humminbird brand is manufactured by the Fishing Group of Johnson Outdoors (Nasdaq: JOUT). Johnson Outdoors Fishing has locations in Eufaula, Alabama, Alpharetta, Georgia, Mankato, Minnesota, Little Falls, Minnesota, Burlington, Ontario and Toronto, Ontario. We are an Equal Opportunity workplace. Visit www.humminbird.com for more information about our product and www.johnsonoutdoors.com for more information about our company.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to: FishingHR@johnsonoutdoors.com. Please include your experience in or having audited and qualified a manufacturing plant. In addition, experience in commodities such as plastics, PCBS and metal stamping as well as experience with international travel, especially to Asia.
Location/Region: Alpharetta, GA (30005)