Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc. (NYSE:ARE), an S&P 500® company, is an urban office REIT uniquely focused on world-class collaborative life science and technology campuses in AAA innovation cluster locations. Founded in 1994, Alexandria pioneered this niche and has since established a significant market presence in key locations, including Greater Boston, San Francisco, New York City, San Diego, Seattle, Maryland, and Research Triangle Park. Alexandria is known for its high-quality and diverse tenant base. Alexandria has a longstanding and proven track record of developing Class A properties clustered in urban life science and technology campuses that provide its innovative tenants with highly dynamic and collaborative environments that enhance their ability to successfully recruit and retain world-class talent and inspire productivity, efficiency, creativity, and success. For additional information on Alexandria, please visit www.are.com.
Alexandria LaunchLabs® is the premier, full-service startup platform designed to dramatically accelerate the growth of early-stage life science startups. Alexandria LaunchLabs® provides move-in-ready office/laboratory space, first-class support resources, shared equipment and services, creative amenities and access to startup capital through the Alexandria Seed Capital Platform – all of which are critical for driving the growth of seed and early-stage companies. Its first, flagship site at the Alexandria Center® for Life Science – New York City opened in Summer 2017, with additional sites opening in Cambridge and Research Triangle in 2018 and 2019 respectively, and additional sites on the west coast opening in early 2020.
We are excited to expand the Alexandria LaunchLabs® platform into the San Francisco Bay Area and are seeking a Principal to lead our first site in the region. The Principal will oversee operations, source and provide strategic and business operations support for member companies and interface with external groups including academic institutions, investors, and industry groups. This individual should have experience working with early-stage companies and be comfortable interfacing with various parts of the San Francisco Bay Area life science ecosystem to promote the brand and mission of Alexandria LaunchLabs®.
The Principal will be integrated in our dynamic and entrepreneurial Science & Technology team, which works across Alexandria on a variety of strategic initiatives. This unique role will be the first of its type in the region and will allow for dramatic personal and career growth. Below is a description of necessary competencies and expected roles and responsibilities.
Alexandria is an equal opportunity employer. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex (including sexual or gender identity), religion, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, age, marital or veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or medical condition.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- General oversight of all day-to-day operations, marketing, programming, and coordination with Alexandria staff on license/lease administration, accounting, and all business matters related to the site
- Assist in sourcing, conducting diligence on, and selecting potential Alexandria LaunchLabs® member companies and/or seed capital recipients
- Support the growth and development of the Alexandria LaunchLabs® member companies
- Track member company progress and identify resources that can be used to accelerate their growth
- Source and coordinate third party service providers to assist Alexandria LaunchLabs® members companies
- Report on overall status of the Alexandria LaunchLabs® site to Alexandria’s senior leadership team
- Develop and maintain operating budgets and related financial reports
- Work with the Alexandria LaunchLabs® Lab Operations Director on procurement, maintenance, layouts, and other activities for the space
- Work with the Alexandria Events and LaunchLabs teams to plan and execute strategic programming for Alexandria LaunchLabs® member companies
- Work closely with the Alexandria LaunchLabs® staff and the Alexandria Venture Investments team
- Be the main point of contact for the external life science ecosystem with Alexandria LaunchLabs®
- Maintain a strong presence and network throughout the San Francisco Bay Area life science ecosystem
- Attend industry related events and workshops to promote the brand
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a science related field required, Masters or PhD preferred
- Prior experience building life science start-up companies, through either direct entrepreneurship activities, mentorship, and/or venture investing
- Robust understanding of early-stage company building activities
- Strong financial experience required
- Prior experience running a co-working space (incubator and/or accelerator) preferred
- Strong connections to the San Francisco Bay Area life science ecosystem (universities, venture community, companies, etc.)
- Ability to multi-task and communicate effectively
- Highly organized and diligent about documentation
Location/Region: San Francisco