SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Sr. Starship Welding Engineer – Brownsville, Texas
This position will support manufacturing and development of SpaceX’s Starship launch vehicle in Boca Chica, (Brownsville) Texas alongside a strong group of design and build engineers. As part of a larger manufacturing team the person in this position will help develop, qualify, and optimize welding designs and processes including but not limited to; laser beam welding, gas tungsten arc welding, resistance welding, gas metal arc welding, orbital tube welding, and plasma arc welding. The welding engineer in this role will interface daily with design and manufacturing engineers to make welding judgment calls and improvements and will enforce standardized practices and procedures on multiple welded assemblies.
- Develop, optimize, and qualify weld processes and parameters for multiple welding processes including but not limited to: Laser Beam Welding, Gas Tungsten Arc Welding, Gas Metal Arc Welding, Orbital Tube Welding, and Plasma Arc Welding
- Support production operations on large scale welded assemblies, providing direction to build engineers and welders on correct techniques to produce most optimized design
- Work closely with design and development engineers to improve welded designs for manufacturing
- Set up welding qualification test campaigns and interpret test results
- Work closely with NDE personnel to interpret weld quality on development and flight hardware
- Push for improved process control where possible using test & NDE results as feedback loop
- Set up automated welding solutions in an effort to drive process consistency
- Scope out new welding technologies that may be employed to improve rate of welding and process efficiency
- Bachelor’s degree in welding engineering or similar technical discipline (Mechanical, Aerospace, Materials)
- 7+ years of hands on fabrication, manufacturing, or testing experience of welded assemblies
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in Welding Engineering or similar technical discipline
- Hands on welding experience of stainless steels
- Experience with brazing, joining, or metallographic interpretation
- Good fundamental understanding of laser beam welding, plasma arc welding, and gas tungsten arc welding as well as stainless steel weld metallurgy
- Experience interpreting non-destructive testing results of welded assemblies in an effort to drive improved process capability
- Robot programming experience of automated weld processing cells
- Tooling design experience for welded assemblies to reduce part distortion and improve part consistency
- Understanding of weld testing methodologies and data acquisition systems used to make informed welding decisions (tensile testing, thermos-couples, strain gages, etc.)
- Self-motivated engineer with keen attention to detail
- Strong ability to multi-task
- Position will be based in Brownsville, Texas supporting on-site manufacturing of Starship.
- Must be willing to work long hours and weekends as needed to support and maintain build schedules
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Location/Region: Brownsville, TX