SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANUFACTURING & PROCESS ENGINEER (GATEWAY)
One of the most ambitious missions that SpaceX has undertaken to date, the Starlink satellite constellation is our solution to providing reliable internet to the entire world. We are looking for a talented engineer to help establish new hands-on manufacturing and test processes, and eventually ramp to full-scale production for the Gateway New Product Introduction (NPI).
The success of Starlink depends on the quality, reliability, cost, manufacturability, supply chain, throughput, and security of the products that you deliver if you seek a fast-paced, dynamic environment; if you thrive on solving difficult problems where resolutions have high impact; and if you love the challenge of building something from scratch, then this role will be an ideal next career step
- Production Excellence
- Development of assembly, processing, and integration processes for Gateways and associated systems for high volume throughput.
- Drive 5S, Visual Engineering, Single Minute Changeovers, Spare Part Plan, Preventative Maintenance, Facilities, and Safety.
- Understand production metrics [Yield, Output, Takt, Cycle Time, Production Wheels, Direct v. Indirect Product Costing, Scheduling]
- Be a production floor engineer – hands-on, tech-to-researcher collaboration.
- Drive smart test processes – use data to tie test to minimum viable product.
- Own and drive quality failure containment, management, and corrective/preventative actions.
- Verify/drive that Tests and CAPAs are grounded in true design reliability analysis or quantified risk.
- Supply Chain/Inventory
- Drive supply chain ramp-up and stability control.
- Verify and maintain inventory set-up minimizing waste material handling operations.
- Own Kanban, tugger, packaging reviews, cycle count optimization.
- Be organized.
- Be a driver.
- Know how to manage a project visually.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, aerospace, chemical, or manufacturing engineering.
- Experience with 5S or lean manufacturing.
- Experience with New Production Introduction (NPI) ramp ups and CapEx.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3-5 years of experience on high volume manufacturing experienced in high pressure global operations.
- Experienced based Production Fire-Fighting.
- Experience with CapEx Equipment IQ, OQ, PQ.
- Radio Frequency (RF) manufacturing & test experience.
- SQL or related experience.
- Industrial automation experience is a bonus.
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- Up to 15% travel as required.
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Location/Region: Redmond, WA