SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MATERIALS DEVELOPMENT TECHNICIAN - TEMPORARY
This is a 6 month temporary position for a Materials Development Technician for the Materials and Process Test team. The role is highly multidisciplinary and this individual will be tasked with a wide variety operations and equipment fabrication work in support of the SpaceX mission. The team consists of technicians and engineers working closely together to build mechanical and fluid assemblies, weld equipment, and automation equipment. The ideal candidate is highly skilled with mechanical, fluid, and electrical disciplines, hands-on, flexible, a quick learner, works well in a fast-paced environment, and possesses a can-do attitude.
- Build, modify, and troubleshoot new or existing equipment which ranges from fluid systems, mechanical assemblies, welders, robotics, and control systems
- Operate and maintain mechanical, weld, automation, and test equipment
- Collaborate with design engineers to develop and document weld, automation, and test equipment
- Participate in the development of support equipment to aid in the assembly of vehicle components
- Participate in the lay-out, fabrication and assembly of tools, fixtures, and support equipment
- Participate in material handling, utilizing rigging, forklift and crane operation
- Follow all necessary regulations and appropriate SpaceX procedures including quality policies, safety policies, OSHA, EPA, NIOSH, NFPA, ASME, NEC, etc. standards
This is a temporary position with SpaceX, for the length of time as stated, and is subject to change with minimal notice as business needs dictate.
- LENGTH OF POSITION: 6 months
- SHIFT: 5am - 5pm (1st shift)
- LOCATION: Brownsville, TX
- High school diploma or GED
- 5+ years of experience working with and troubleshooting fluid or mechanical systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to work and communicate (verbally and written) effectively in a team environment
- Ability to rapidly change roles, responsibilities, and learn new skills while working in a high-paced and challenging work environment
- Computer skills, including experience using Microsoft Office
- Experience reading / interpreting planning documents, schematics, wiring diagrams, specifications, drawings, manuals, blueprints, and engineering sketches
- Experience with rigging, cranes, forklifts and lift operations
- Experience with nondestructive inspection equipment and techniques
- Experience with precision measuring instruments/equipment (calipers, torque wrenches, gauges)
- Experience with component and system level troubleshooting skills and the ability to logically solve problems and determine corrective action
- Experience with electrical components, wiring experience a plus
- Experience with welding, material testing, or robotic equipment
- Mechanical aptitude and experience (work with machines and general tooling)
- Ability to utilize power tools and hand tools as well as heavy equipment
- A demonstrated experience where quick-thinking and problem-solving plays a critical role
- Valid Driver’s License
- The ability to lift heavy objects is required in this position (up to 35lbs unassisted)
- Ability to work at elevated heights
- Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- Must be available for overtime and weekends as the schedule varies depending on site operational needs; flexibility required
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Location/Region: Brownsville, TX