SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. ELECTRICAL INTEGRATION & TEST ENGINEER (SATELLITES)
The Avionics team is looking for an exemplary individual to lead integration and test efforts with SpaceX satellite systems. Our integration and test engineers are responsible for understanding vehicle systems and how they are interconnected. A successful integration and test engineer works hands-on with flight and test hardware to solve interdisciplinary engineering problems, demonstrates strong engineering intuition and critical thinking, and is comfortable working with minimal oversight.
This role will drive integration of satellite systems through testing and qualification, working closely with small teams to meet critical deadlines. You will develop new skills and put your engineering knowledge to the test by taking flight systems all the way from concept to orbit.
- Design high-level avionics architecture and manage vehicle integration and test operations.
- Lead investigations into anomalous vehicle behavior.
- Work hands-on with flight hardware at build, test and launch sites.
- Interface with engineers and technicians from many disciplines to optimize proposed designs for integration, testing, and manufacturability.
- Specify and drive creation of representative hardware-in-the-loop test systems or system simulators to support software development and system verification and validation.
- Create, maintain and communicate detailed schedules, ensuring the satellite team is aware of tasks and deadlines, including resource identification and acquisition.
- Troubleshoot issues on prototype and production assemblies on an aggressive schedule.
- Support integration and test at SpaceX, external facilities and launch site to ensure mission success.
- Work collaboratively in multidisciplinary teams to represent avionics systems in defining scope, requirements, and vehicle-level trades as designs move from concept to production.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline.
- 5+ years of professional experience in system-level design, integration or testing of electrical hardware systems. A successful candidate will have previous experience delivering a hardware system or sub-system through the engineering lifecycle - from requirements through build and deployment.
- 1+ years of professional experience managing complex technical projects and developing and tracking schedules.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s or PhD in an engineering discipline.
- Strong electrical systems engineering intuition and critical thinking. Comfort with ambiguity and turning high-level requirements into clear design/test objectives.
- Experience writing test plans, procedures, and providing operational support to cross-functional teams.
- Hands-on experience using electrical test equipment (multimeters, oscilloscopes, power supplies, etc.).
- Experience with 3D CAD, mechanical design, fabrication, and environmental qualification.
- Experience with test automation, particularly using Python.
- Experience with designing and building electrical harnesses and connectors.
- Creative, passionate problem solver that thrives in fast-paced, autonomously-driven, and demanding design and integration campaigns.
- Strong sense of accountability, integrity, and team focus with extensive multi-tasking and organizational experience.
- Active Top Secret or Top Secret SCI clearance or willingness to pursue one is preferred. Note that an active clearance may provide the opportunity for you to work on sensitive SpaceX missions. If so, you will be subject to pre-employment drug and random drug and alcohol testing.
- Must be able to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- Must be willing to travel to other SpaceX offices and customer locations as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Location/Region: Hawthorne, CA