SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
RADIATION EFFECTS ENGINEER
As a member of our fast-paced radiation effects team, you will be responsible for ensuring avionics hardware performance through some of the harshest and varied radiation environments imaginable. In order to ensure maximum reliability in an ionizing radiation environment, the radiation team at SpaceX performs exhaustive analysis, design, and test at the component, board, unit and subsystem levels with extensive opportunity to interact with a vast array of rocket and spacecraft hardware and electronics. As one of the few teams required to interface with the design, manufacturing, integration, and mission operations teams, we play a critical role in the development of our systems as we advance our efforts towards broadband satellite internet and safe, reliable, inexpensive, and innovative access to space with the fundamental goal of expanding human space exploration capabilities.
- Support a cross-discipline team of design and system engineers, while providing radiation test and analysis results, advice on requirements flow down, modeling and analysis reports, and recommendations for mitigating radiation effects
- Develop and debug complex test designs
- Prepare and fully execute test plans and analysis for single event effect, total ionizing dose, and displacement damage dose
- Perform testing to characterize parts and assemblies for their total ionizing dose and single event effect (protons and heavier ions) sensitivities
- Develop design requirements based on use case (environment and system reliability requirements)
- Make recommendations for design, process improvements, and data collection
- Perform root-cause analysis of test failures and communicate recommended actions
- Establish requirements for component procurement specifications
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or physics
- Experience programming in Python
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 1+ years of experience in the radiation effects field
- Previous work experience in radiation effects including modeling, testing, and/or analysis
- Strong skills in mathematics and statistics
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in design and/or analysis of digital and analog circuits
- Ability to identify failures in radiation testing and knowledge on how to mitigate common failure mechanisms induced by ionizing radiation
- Experience with systems requiring resistance to ionizing dose including total ionizing dose testing, analysis to predict dose on orbit and familiarity with common problems and vulnerabilities to total ionizing dose
- Experience developing tests for microprocessors, ASICs, or FPGAs
- Experience with testing RF or optical interface devices
- Computational experience in programming languages: C/C++, SQL
- Familiarity and comfort with avionics hardware spanning integrated circuits, PCBA boards, sensors/transducers, functional troubleshooting and defect detection
- Familiarity and comfort with hardware blueprints/schematics and circuit functions based on designs
- Knowledge/experience in the effects of UV and atomic oxygen on materials and components
- Superior organizational and analytical skills with keen attention to detail and quality
- Radiation dose safety training
- Must be able to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Location/Region: Hawthorne, CA