SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
COMPOSITES REPAIR TECHNICIAN
The Composites Repair Technician will lead composite structural repair efforts for the department, working alongside engineering to determine and execute repair strategies on composites assemblies. A strong background in composites and structural repairs is a must.
- Prepare and perform various repairs on non-conforming flight hardware. Repair methods may include: resin wash, resin injection, plug/patch repair, mechanically fastened doublers, bonded doublers, and step/scarf flush patch repairs
- Assist with other in-process related tasks for part removals, de-integration, ply layout, surface preparation, core sealing, hand lamination, vacuum bagging, and oven/hot-bond controller operation
- Work with a wide variety of tools, equipment, machinery, material types, adhesives, solvents, and other hazardous materials
- Assist engineers on solving complicated repair problems on sensitive fully integrated hardware
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 2+ years of composite materials and repair experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 5+ years of composite materials and repair experience
- Mechanical aptitude and ability to understand engineering documents and schematics
- Ability to assess structural damage
- Knowledge of metal, alloys, composite materials, adhesives, and sealants
- Accurately perform component and ply-removal without adding risk to adjacent hardware
- Proficient in surface preparation and repair layout
- Proficient in hand layup and vacuum bagging
- Experience using power tools for cutting or drilling composites or metals
- Proficient using measurement tools such as calipers
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Experience assembling composite and composite/metallic structures including setup, bonding and fastener installation
- Must be able to stand for extended periods - 8 hours min
- Must be able to access small confined spaces and work in an enclosed environment
- Must be willing to travel for durations greater than two weeks to other SpaceX sites
- Willing to work all shifts, overtime, and/or weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Location/Region: Hawthorne, CA