Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc. (NYSE:ARE), an S&P 500® urban office REIT, is the first and longest-tenured owner, operator, and developer uniquely focused on collaborative life science, technology and agtech campuses in AAA innovation cluster locations. Founded in 1994, Alexandria pioneered this niche and has since established a significant market presence in key locations, including Greater Boston, San Francisco, New York City, San Diego, Seattle, Maryland, and Research Triangle. Alexandria is known for its high-quality and diverse tenant base. The company has a longstanding and proven track record of developing Class A properties clustered in urban life science, technology, and agtech campuses that provide its innovative tenants with highly dynamic and collaborative environments that enhance their ability to successfully recruit and retain world-class talent and inspire productivity, efficiency, creativity, and success. For more information, please visit www.are.com.
Alexandria LaunchLabs is the premiere startup platform designed to satisfy a key unmet need for space for seed-stage life science and agri-food tech companies in Research Triangle, North Carolina. Alexandria LaunchLabs provides move-in-ready laboratory/greenhouse/office space, first-class support resources, shared equipment and services, creative amenities and startup capital – all of which are critical for dramatically accelerating the growth of seed-stage companies in the Triangle.
We are seeking a Laboratory Operations Manager for LaunchLabs in Research Triangle, NC. The LaunchLabs Laboratory Operations Manager will have primary responsibility for daily operations of the facility, managing the office and laboratory requirements for its client tenants.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions, marital or registered domestic partner status, family-care status, veteran or military status, age, national origin or ancestry, disability, medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any category protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist Alexandria regional team to develop and implement ARE proprietary lab/office products, detailed laboratory planning and execution of operational programming strategy.
- Implement and develop (with third party vendors as necessary) standard operating procedures and programs for laboratory safety, safety training, chemical inventories, laboratory audits, laboratory operational permits, hazardous waste disposal, and maintain accurate and up-to-date records on all training, permits and incidents.
- Coordinate vendor contracts and establish programs for laboratory services and amenities, including waste management, lab coats and gases, plus purchasing of laboratory supplies and general consumables to be stocked at the facility.
- Establish and oversee maintenance programs and day-to-day management of all LaunchLabs owned laboratory and office equipment, facility repairs and routine maintenance.
- Conduct tenant orientations, safety training and maintain access controls.
- Provide guidance and support to tenants, initiate new services for tenants as required (e.g, coordinating shipment of lab samples, providing key vendor contacts, etc.).
- Assist tenants with recommending laboratory equipment/systems and coordinate installation of any equipment, assuring that all equipment requirements, including lab utilities and any safety requirements are met.
- Manage relationships for campus scientific amenities and partnerships (e.g., potential onsite Chemical Vending Machines, coordinating vendor showcases and scientific services).
- Work with the ARE team (accounting) on yearly budget reviews, invoice management and general business operation activities.
- Work with the ARE team (Technology Services) to operate and maintain all LaunchLabs network, telephone, and AV services.
- Work with the ARE team (underwriting, leasing) on no later than a quarterly basis to alert of any tenant issues; review near-term tenant rollover, etc.
- Work with the ARE team (programming) to participate in strategic programming and events in the LaunchLabs space.
Qualifications and Experience:
- 5 + years of experience operating a science laboratory.
- Skilled in developing or administering safety programs.
- Experience in lab design, planning and set up is a plus.
- Prior wet lab/analytical experience is preferred.
- Familiarity with laboratory regulatory requirements is preferred.
- Familiarity with the life science industry and local Research Triangle Park ecosystem.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task, and prioritize effectively.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to interact with individuals at all levels, provide guidance, and great customer service
- Must be detail-oriented, organized, and be able to consistently deliver timely and accurate results.
- Customer service- the individual is a key resource for tenants, maintaining a high level of professionalism and being prompt and attentive to requests
- Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
- Quality control—the individual demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Problem solving—the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Adaptability—the individual adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Dependability—the individual is consistently at work, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Safety and security—the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures and uses equipment and materials properly.
Location/Region: Research Triangle Park, NC