Job Title: Director of Professional Services
Department: Professional Services
Reports To: General Manager / President
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Who we are
As an industry-leading provider of world-class MES solutions, POMS is committed to improving the effectiveness, competitiveness, and compliance of regulated manufacturers in the health sciences industries. Based in Herndon, Virginia, we have over 100 systems and more than 25,000 users distributed across 20 countries – making POMS one of the most widely used MES offerings around the globe.
What the position is
We are seeking a highly qualified Director of Professional Services to lead our team of implementation project specialists. This group is an integral part of our business, providing the services customers require to install, configure, and implement POMS solutions in their manufacturing facilities.
This position is a member of the core management team (1 of 5), reports directly to the General Manager, and will lead a team of 15 people.
What you will do
As part of our team, you will lead delivery of client implementation services for all POMS products, providing management and oversight of the professional services offered by the company. Specifically, you will
- be responsible for the overall leadership and oversight of the implementation projects of our enterprise software solutions, including maintaining complete control on project schedule, budget and risk issues, including project assignments, capacity planning, and project profitability
- be responsible for creating and executing project work plans, and revising said plans as appropriate to meet evolving needs and requirements
- be responsible for identifying project risks early and assisting in providing prudent and timely recommendations for risk avoidance
- be responsible for communicating effectively with clients to identify needs and evaluate alternative business solutions, and setting and managing client expectations
- be responsible for providing project oversight to ensure all project management processes are followed
- lead a global team of program managers, project managers, and implementation specialists in a dynamic, high energy, technical environment, including: managing team capacity effectively to meet the company’s commitments, strategic direction and action plans; inspiring team members with the drive and motivation needed to aggressively meet commitments; training and coaching to develop and enhance the performance and skills of team members; conducting employee performance reviews/evaluations and career development discussions; and participating in the interviewing, selecting, hiring and firing of employees
- be responsible for developing and maintaining a deep understanding of our product offerings and for being able to step in and provide technical or product guidance for a customer or project, as required.
- be responsible for serving as the primary customer escalation point for customer changes and/or issues during the implementation process.
- drive process improvements to streamline work and provide more value to our customers and more efficiency into our organization, with the end goal of increased customer satisfaction and deeper client relationships
- establish strategic plans along with other business leaders and build and maintain strong relationships with Customer Service, Sales, and Development teams in support of creating and fostering a cross-functional, “one POMS” mentality
- serve as a core member of the management team, providing the management team with regular project updates and critical advice as an experienced implementation leader, and set the direction for the professional services team
- assist the sales team with project scoping exercises and preparing statements of work, as required.
Who you are (the soft skills)
As our ideal candidate, you have
- strong verbal communication skills: you speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, you actively listen and ask for clarification, you respond well to questions, and you are comfortable presenting to a group
- strong written communication skills: you write clearly and informatively, you can vary your writing style to meet needs, and you are able to present numerical data effectively
- strong leadership skills: you lead through a clear set of values, you champion and facilitate change, you inspire others, you demonstrate and encourage adaptability, and you operate best through an inclusive leadership style
- strong analytical skills: you can synthesize complex and diverse information, you gather and analyze information skillfully, and you are able to apply intuition and experience to complement the data
- strong problem-solving skills: you identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, your decision-making process is data driven, you can develop alternative solutions, you work well in group problem solving situations, and you use reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- strong planning/organizational skills: you can set goals and objectives, you can prioritize and plan work activities, you can organize and schedule other people and their tasks, and you can accurately predict resourcing and staffing needs based on known goals and objectives
- strong character: you demonstrate unquestionable integrity in every aspect of your work and interactions with others, you consistently model the behaviors and values established by the company, and you respect diversity of perspective in all interactions
- a highly collaborative mindset: you build and maintain partnerships with clients and people at all levels of the company, you actively contribute to team and company success, you maintain flexibility and react to change appropriately, and you communicate and share information with candor that builds trust and enhances relationships
- BS or MS degree in a technical field (preferably engineering)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a management or leadership role, preferably in an MES software professional services environment
- Minimum of 3 years of experience leading multiple projects that span varied stakeholders, including internal senior leadership and external clients, partners, and contractors, preferably in the life sciences industry
- Above average knowledge of MS Office tools
- Working knowledge of relational databases and SQL
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft Windows Operating System
- PMI Certification (preferred)
The role requires the flexibility to be able to travel up to 10% of the time (~5 weeks/year) in non-pandemic times. During the pandemic we do not have employees traveling.
Local candidates preferred, but we are open to remote candidates.