SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LAB MANAGER (AVIONICS)
Want to drive innovation…all the way to Mars? As a member of the Avionics group, you will have the unique opportunity to manage a lab space of Avionics engineers, technicians, and hardware that are used to support all of the electronic hardware for our rockets and spacecraft. In addition, you will run and setup complex hardware testing to ensure the reliability of all avionics components.
- Create initial lab layout and organization of the avionics engineering space
- Support avionics engineers with hands-on test setup and execution
- Maintain and schedule test chambers
- Ensure safety protocols are being followed
- Monitor and track tools, equipment, and desk allocation for avionics engineering lab
- Organize and maintain the physical and electronic library tooling and calibration database
- Oversee facility projects from electrical to HVAC
- Create and maintain operational procedures for laboratory safety and hazards
- Coordinate closely with technicians and engineers on necessary equipment and consumables
- Create organization system for consumable items
- Strong communication skills and eager to learn more about avionics engineering
- Support projects or productivity development activities within assigned lab space
- Associate degree in electrical engineering or 3+ years of electronics experience troubleshooting test systems, PCBAs, and harnesses
- 2+ years of professional experience using electronics equipment (e.g. programmable power supplies, e-loads, signal generators, DMMs, oscilloscopes, etc.) and basic mechanical and/or electronics hand tools
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or 5+ years of electronics experience troubleshooting test systems, PCBAs, and harnesses
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and teamwork skills
- Experience with PCBA soldering including soldering down to 0402 packages and high density ICs, jumper install, and dead bugging
- Knowledge of Ohm’s Law, power supplies, digital logic, ADC/DAC circuits, op amps, semiconductors, and communications protocols
- Knowledge of DAQ systems along with the various sensors and measurement tools associated
- Knowledge of RF specific test equipment and proper usage
- Knowledge of safety best practices including electrostatic discharge, grounding, and job hazard analysis
- Experience in harness design and construction with ability to build and repair and knowledge of procedures, tools, connectors, wire/cable, and parts used
- Experience using AutoCAD, NX, Solidworks, or similar Unigraphics program
- Experience with mechanical fabrication utilizing electric hand tools, drill press, and vertical/horizontal bandsaws
- Experience in organizing files and documents
- Knowledge of MRP/ERP systems
- SQL and Tableau experience
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 25 lbs
- Repetitive assembly operations, grasping, standing, lifting, bending, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position
- Extended hours and weekend work may be required to support critical project and mission milestones
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Location/Region: Hawthorne, CA