SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
RF TEST LAB SPECIALIST
As the RF Test Lab Specialist, you will be responsible for the setup, development and day-to-day operations of SpaceX’s Starlink RFIC lab. You will work closely with engineering teams to characterize the custom silicon chips used in all areas of the Starlink initiative, from satellites, to ground stations, to user terminals. To be successful in this role, you will bring your previous experience in supporting the full development lifecycle of RF silicon through design, prototyping, characterization, and integration.
- Use manual and automated techniques to characterize RF amplifiers and RF integrated circuits using signal generators, spectrum analyzers, vector network analyzers, power meters, and other microwave components
- Set up, tear down, reconfigure, calibrate, validate and document specialized RF test benches given general direction and guidance
- Collect, validate, and present RF measurement results
- Assemble and rework microelectronic semiconductor devices according to drawings and specifications using die attach, surface mount, and flip-chip bonding
- Assemble, configure, and operate test benches and thermal chambers, and coordinate usage between teams
- Support design engineers with measurement requests
- Select and procure lab equipment and RF components from suppliers, and maintain stock of commonly-used parts
- Arrange yearly RF test equipment calibrations with onsite/offsite vendors
- Track inventory of all lab equipment, test boards, chips, and other test articles
- Manage shipping/receiving logistics for the RFIC engineering team
- Enforce lab organization, cleanliness, and ESD-safe handling practices
- Adapt to constantly-changing work assignments and fast-paced environment
- 5+ years of experience as a mmWave/RF technician or associate degree in electrical engineering
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Demonstrated experience and ability to read, interpret and follow drawings and electrical schematics
- Ability to fabricate and repair cable harnesses including: soldering, crimping, assembling connectors
- Ability to solder 0201 components under a microscope
- 3+ years of experience working with RF test equipment
- Strong computer and analytical skills including proficiency in spreadsheets, databases, shop floor management software (ERP) and related programs
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Must be willing to work all shifts, overtime, and weekends as needed
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 25 lbs.
- Repetitive assembly operations, grasping, standing, lifting, bending, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Location/Region: Redmond, WA