At the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation we believe that by creating an environment for our employees to personally and professionally thrive, we will have maximum impact toward our missions to achieve our vision.
To learn more about our vision and missions, please visit our website at www.gatesfoundation.org.
Tolearnmoreaboutcareer opportunitiesattheBill&MelindaGatesFoundation,pleasevisitour Careers site at www.gatesfoundation.org/careers.
The work of the foundation supports a range of impact goals that are reflected in Global Delivery Programs (GDP) which falls under the Global Development division. GDP’s work focuses on reducing under-five and maternal mortality, disease control and eradication (limiting spread of vaccine preventable disease), and global and subnational equity of selected health outcomes.
The Vaccines and Disease Control Priorities (VDCP) team within GDP takes an account management approach to its work, engaging program teams as customers and using its technical expertise to help program teams take to scale the highest impact interventions for their disease control objectives. Health Products, Programs and Markets (HPPM) will specialize in driving results for disease teams, our Program Strategy Teams (PSTs), through proven and effective global implementing partners and global funds to ensure the greatest opportunity for quick and efficient scaling.
Leadership & Culture
Our culture shapes our choices about what we do and how we do it. We believe that energized people, working well together, fueled by great leadership in an inclusive environment can do extraordinary things. We expect foundation employees to intentionally and consistently embody our four agreements; show respect, offer trust, be transparent, and create energy.
The SPO, Market Dynamics will be a central resource and specialist in the GDP team around market shaping activities for vaccines and other global health supply initiatives and market interventions. In this role, you will provide technical support around market access initiatives to internal Program Strategy Teams (PSTs), time-limited deal teams and external partners working on related issues. You will contribute to or lead work to ensure coordinated approaches for the sustainable, affordable supply of high-quality global health commodities and to craft and support effective procurement approaches by global/national buyers and monitor progress against key market goals for prioritized vaccine and global health product markets.
You will have primary accountability for the execution and/or support of market shaping plans and product roadmaps with partners, both internal and external. This will include:
- Provide excellent ongoing support to team members, investment teams and PSTs for their vaccine and global health market dynamics needs.
- Work through and with PST focal points from GDP to deliver program results and understand context of vaccine and specific global health product programs.
- Lead/co-lead work to move the practice of applied market dynamics forwards, including working with partners on the quality of market data, methods and resources and innovation in procurement approaches.
- Advance the market dynamics field by building tools and public goods that make the practice of market dynamics more effective.
- Engage with global buying institutions and national procurers to improve their procurement practices, align their approaches with product strategies/roadmaps, and maintain close information sharing dynamics.
- Build relationships with big global partnerships (e.g., Gavi, Global Fund) to support and influence their market shaping approaches and strategies.
- Build a dynamic “community of practice” within GDP and potentially across the foundation to share market dynamic best practices, establish quality standards for market shaping activities and develop information products from which multiple teams can benefit.
- Provide leadership and/or support transactions that enable affordable supply of priority vaccines.
- Maintain excellent knowledge of vaccine industry trends in terms of manufacturing approaches, technologies, and overall industry dynamics.
- Help shape the foundation’s overall strategic initiatives with the vaccine industry.
- Represent the foundation to key program-related external constituencies, as appropriate, on committees related to area of expertise and responsibilities of the position.
Core Knowledge & Skills
- Recognized as a market dynamics specialist. Technically credible with industry partners, internal technical product development peers, and investment professionals.
- Experience as a resource to teams on market dynamics, including conducting market research and analysis, scenario planning, pipeline planning, strategic product roadmaps, cost analysis, and innovative financing approaches.
- Creative approach: able to see opportunities where challenges exist.
- Proven ability to lead and influence others in a constructive manner and to build and sustain collaborative relationships across many different types of partners and in highly matrixed environments.
- Capability and proven track record of working overtime to influence and move large institutions and bureaucracies and/or projects forward over extended periods of time.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, able to effectively synthesize information to build consensus.
- Strong quantitative analytic and scenario planning skills.
- Proven ability to multi-task and thrive in fast-paced, high-pressure situations. Capability to work independently.
Education & Experience
- 10+ years’ experience with health care product categories relevant to foundation global health goals. Minimum of five years in in market research and analysis, healthcare management consulting or other relevant private and public sector experience. Strong preference for vaccine knowledge and emerging markets/developing world experience.
- MBA or master’s degree in Public Policy, Health Economics, Public Health, or equivalent advanced degree
*Must be able to legally work in the country where this position is located without visa sponsorship.
Location/Region: Seattle, WA