SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
VEHICLE OPERATIONS ENGINEER (STARSHIP)
The Starship vehicle operations team is dedicated to designing ground and flight test operations, developing test procedures, writing vehicle control software, and sitting on console in mission control to oversee Starship operations in South Texas. Team members will have the experience of working across all disciplines at SpaceX, including launch, structures, propulsion, avionics, and guidance, navigation, and control, and will be responsible for driving the test campaigns that inform the validity of Starship hardware designs. Team members will lead the way in turning hardware concepts into successively more difficult flight tests that will culminate in sending human beings to Mars.
- Lead hardware and subsystem owners in designing ground and flight test campaigns that demonstrate critical vehicle functionality, such as static fire tests, suborbital launches, and eventual orbital and interplanetary flight tests
- Write test plans and procedures to perform both sub-scale and vehicle-level development testing
- Leverage high-level systems expertise to coordinate test goals across departments and support a simplified yet robust vehicle testing strategy that informs future flight hardware designs
- Design state machines and write vehicle control software in our in-house vehicle control language, write supporting unit tests in Python
- Sit in the vehicle engineer on-console role to oversee Starship ground test and flight operations
- Lead test readiness reviews and post-test data reviews to document vehicle development progress
- Bachelor’s degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering
- 2+ years of professional experience with high pressure fluid system design and operation, aircraft or automotive ground and flight test experience, or other mechanical systems engineering role
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proficient in reading plumbing and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs)
- In-depth understanding of fluid mechanics, structural mechanics, and thermodynamics
- Experience with cryogenic fluid or high pressure gas systems
- Working knowledge of Python or other scripting language
- Experience with configuration management and source code control, such as Git and SVN
- Able to work effectively in a dynamic environment while assuming high levels of responsibility and demonstrating accountability for vehicle test outcomes
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment with ongoing drive for continuous improvement in all aspects of work
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) and ability to succinctly present recommendations to stakeholders, management, and executive staff
- Able to work well in an integrated collaborative team environment, including frequent interactions with technicians, other engineers, and managers
- Must be available to work long hours and weekends as necessary
- Willing to support 25% travel time between Hawthorne, CA and Brownsville, TX
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Location/Region: Brownsville, TX