About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment. Position Summary:
Lead coder is responsible in assisting the Coding Manager and Coding Supervisor for ancillary services by providing coding expertise to a staff of professional coders and to ensure that coders are coding proficiently, accurately and completely to facilitate the billing and reimbursement process. Ancillary services are defined as Pathology, Radiation Oncology, Radiation, and diagnostics. In addition, the lead coder is expected to perform monthly performance incentive review and annual performance appraisals. The lead coder also provides technical. Furthermore, the lead coder is responsible to act on behalf of Coding Manager and Coding Supervisor in overseeing the operation of the Coding Department during the absence of both. Key Responsibilities include:
Qualifications Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Provide supervision and coding expertise to a staff of professional coders.
- Assist the manager and supervisor to develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures to ensure quality of coding function.
- Assist the manager and supervisor in performing annual employee performance appraisals.
- Assist the director in recruitment of new employees and retain qualified coders.
- Conduct in-service coding training and ensure that coders maintain proficient coding skills. Keep abreast of all new changes in codes, coding guidelines set forth by the regulatory agencies and assist with monthly employee performance reviews.
- Provide technical expertise and input to members of the Billing Manager team to improve quality of coding/billing operation and appeal process and assure organization's compliance to billing guidelines set forth by CMS.
- Perform coding and assist as needed in other specialty coding.
- Assign surgical charge fee to new surgical procedures and submit charge to manager for review and approval.
- Review and assist Information System Director in maintaining the coding system current in Pulse.
- Assist manager and supervisor in updating charge tickets as needed to ensure coding and billing accuracy and to ensure continuous compliance with billing guidelines set forth by CMS and Medi-Cal.
- Post high school or equivalent experience.
- 8+ years of experience.
- Thorough knowledge of medical terminology/anatomy/ physiology. Comprehensive understanding of professional coding principles, including knowledge and proper application of assigning ICD and CPT codes, bundling, and modifiers based on regulatory guidelines. Current knowledge, training and experience in ICD-10. Proof of ICD-10 proficiency.
- CPC, COC, CCS-P, or CCS.
- Membership in American Academy of Professional Coders or American Health Information Association.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Location/Region: Duarte, CA