About SOC, A Day & Zimmermann Company
SOC is an integrated provider of mission support solutions through our global security, operations and maintenance, architecture and engineering, and staffing services to the U.S. Government and commercial clients. Ranked on the global Defense News Top 100 List of defense companies, SOC is owned by Day & Zimmermann, a century-old, family-owned company with a workforce of more than 41,000 around the world. Day & Zimmermann is currently ranked as one of the largest private companies in the U.S. by Forbes.
Sr. Proposal Manager needed for a full-time, staff opportunity with SOC located in Chantilly, VA. The candidate for this position will direct proposal development activities in support of government contracting (GovCon) business development opportunities (large and small/medium scale) to include proposal strategy formulation, process management, leadership of cross-functional teams, proposal reviews and delivery in addition to bid and proposal budget planning and control. The candidate will develop and lead internal proposal department personnel and direct external consultants to deliver consistently high-quality, winning proposals.
The Work You’ll Be Doing:
- Manages the integration of proposal development processes and functional subject matter experts (internal and external to the company). Leads proposal strategy and color reviews, ensuring win themes, value proposition and messaging are incorporated into proposals.
- Collaborates with business development leads, capture managers, business/functional leaders and subject matter experts to develop strategy, manage proposal artifacts and author technical and management solutions in response to requests for information and requests for proposals.
- Leads the development and sustainment of a proposal repository/library system to ensure effective storage and retrieval of proposal content, past performance information, presentations, proposal development tools and templates, market/competitive intelligence and lessons learned/win-loss data. Support business development pre-award process improvement efforts.
- Analyzes solicitations and leads proposal teams and proposal development efforts resulting in compliant and compelling solutions. Responsible for collecting, organizing, and integrating proposal inputs from various sources, as well as assembling proposal volumes, tables, exhibits and attachments.
What You Need to Bring to the Table:
- Bachelors’ Degree in English, Journalism or Business or an equivalent combination of education and/or related work experience – Master’s preferred.
- 10+ years’ demonstrated experience leading successful large scale competitive federal government proposal development and operations activities; 7+ of which in technical writing and/or business development.
- Experience with SharePoint and/or Sales Force preferred
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOD Secret Clearance – Active Secret Clearance preferred
- Great attitude and team player.
- Successful completion of background screening process.
The Big Picture – Top Skills You Should Possess:
- Mastery of business development pre-award lifecycle process (e.g., Shipley), especially pre-proposal planning and proposal development phases; understanding of the FAR, especially best value aspects.
- Excellent written and oral communication, presentation, interpersonal, project management and leadership skills; ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously while adjusting to changing priorities.
- Highly motivated, results driven with an excellent work ethic; pushes self and others to deliver results (winning proposals) always on-time and consistently within budget.
- Exceptional analytical skills; ability to develop and present complex data or information in a clear and concise format to all levels of management and our customers.
- Must display organizational agility; able to develop and leverage effective relationships and networks; knows how to get things done through both formal channels and informal networks.
Must be able to perform the following physical and mental tasks:
- Visual acuity (e.g., needed to prepare and analyze data, to transcribe documents, to view a computer, to read, to inspect objects, to operate machinery.
- Repetitive motion of any part of the body.
- Capacity to think, concentrate and focus for long periods of time.
- Ability to read complex documents in the English language.
- Capacity to reason and make sound decisions.
- Ability to write complex documents in the English language.
- Capacity to express thoughts orally.
What’s In It For You?
Candidates that are hired will receive a competitive base salary, 401k, a comprehensive medical/dental/vision plan, parental leave and paid time off.
What Are You Waiting For? Apply Now! Recruiter: Melanie Richert
Diversity, Inclusion & Equal Employment Opportunity
Day & Zimmermann is committed to maintaining an inclusive workforce, where employees are hired, retained, compensated and promoted based on their contributions to our Company. Our collective strength is rooted in over 110 years of diverse employees and businesses, commitment to success, and delivery on promises made. Federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity laws prohibit employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship status, veteran status and disability status. Day & Zimmermann is committed to providing an equal opportunity work environment in full compliance with these laws. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation in the application process, please email
, and please specify which position you are interested in, including job title and location.