About SOC, A Day & Zimmermann Company
SOC is an integrated provider of mission support solutions through our global security, operations and maintenance, architecture and engineering, and staffing services to the U.S. Government and commercial clients. Ranked on the global Defense News Top 100 List of defense companies, SOC is owned by Day & Zimmermann, a century-old, family-owned company with a workforce of more than 41,000 around the world. Day & Zimmermann is currently ranked as one of the largest private companies in the U.S. by Forbes.
Proposal Writer Coordinator needed for a full-time, staff opportunity with SOC located in Chantilly, VA. The candidate for this position will be responsible for proposal writing and proposal coordination in response to Federal Government solicitations. For technical writing role, the candidate will assist in preparing compliant and compelling responses to RFIs and RFPs, producing/writing proposal sections/volumes by working closely with capture team members including SMEs and proposal consultants. For proposal coordinator role, the candidate will manage administration, configuration management and production/printing of proposal submissions, including development of content for proposal plans, outlines, schedules and other administrative functions.
The Work You’ll Be Doing:
- Gathers proposal information by identifying sources of information, coordinating submissions and identifying/communicating risks. Coordinates the proposal schedule to ensure all deadlines are met; all documentation of cross departmental roles and responsibilities so that the finished product is understood and agreed upon with all stakeholders and produced/delivered on-time. Supports content development that is clear, persuasive and that resonates with customer requirements. Writes technical, management, resume and past performance sections, providing direction and oversight to supporting writers. Applies communication and interviewing skills to gather needed information from internal and external SMEs to support writing activities.
- Manages the proposal archival/library system to ensure proposals and proposal development tools and templates are easily accessible to include SharePoint proposal development system/repository. Coordinates data calls and consolidation required to maintain and update performance information on proposal/past performance templates and forms.
- Supports capture and proposal leads with coordination tasks associated with implementing the proposal process to include managing logistics, schedules, plans, outlines and handling routine communications, meeting scheduling and managing group emails.
What You Need to Bring to the Table:
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, Journalism or Business or an equivalent combination of education and/or related work experience.
- 3-5 years of related experience with demonstrated knowledge and experience with proposal development in high-volume, fast-paced, deadline-driven environments; includes 1-2 years experience working as a proposal writer responding to Federal Government solicitations.
- Excellent writing skills. High proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Well-developed organizational, talent and time management skills.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOD Secret Clearance – Active Secret Clearance preferred
- Great attitude and team player.
- Successful completion of background screening process.
The Big Picture – Top Skills You Should Possess:
- Proven ability to interface with a wide range of personnel, including proposal managers, SMEs, graphic designers, subcontractors/consultants and senior management.
- Must have the ability to quickly digest information and produce organized, clearly-written technical/management content with minimal supervision.
- Advanced skills in writing, editing and proofreading.
- Must demonstrate superb organizational skills, including the ability to provide structure to proposal products, files and contributors.
- Strong work ethic with an ability to work in a high-paced work environment supporting multiple proposals simultaneously and meeting tight deadlines including occasional extended hours.
Must be able to perform the following physical and mental tasks:
- Visual acuity (e.g., needed to prepare and analyze data, to transcribe documents, to view a computer, to read, to inspect objects, to operate machinery.
- Repetitive motion of any part of the body.
- Capacity to think, concentrate and focus for long periods of time.
- Ability to read complex documents in the English language.
- Capacity to reason and make sound decisions.
- Ability to write complex documents in the English language.
- Capacity to express thoughts orally.
What’s In It For You?
Candidates that are hired will receive a competitive base salary, 401k, a comprehensive medical/dental/vision plan, parental leave and paid time off.
What Are You Waiting For? Apply Now! Recruiter: Melanie Richert
Diversity, Inclusion & Equal Employment Opportunity
Day & Zimmermann is committed to maintaining an inclusive workforce, where employees are hired, retained, compensated and promoted based on their contributions to our Company. Our collective strength is rooted in over 110 years of diverse employees and businesses, commitment to success, and delivery on promises made. Federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity laws prohibit employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship status, veteran status and disability status. Day & Zimmermann is committed to providing an equal opportunity work environment in full compliance with these laws. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation in the application process, please email
, and please specify which position you are interested in, including job title and location.